Anyone else hearing babies that aren't there?

So, here's the thing. My son is almost 3, and my daughter is almost 2. On and off since they were born I've heard babies crying, and there's no baby around. It's kicked back up here recently, and it's a little unnerving. (My hubby just went to night shift, so it's creepy knowing that your kids are sleeping soundly, and then a baby starts crying). Is it just a sense memory, like when you've had a baby, and then feel the kicking like you're still pregnant? Or am I just crazy? Lol. If it makes a difference, I also hear phones ringing when it's not. (I have a cell phone, not a home phone.) I know it's not tinnitus...

hediwgsopenbook

Asked by hediwgsopenbook at 11:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Health

• Do they have any toys that make these sounds? I only say this because I bought my son a crib toy that when you spun the wheel a female voice played and talked, the first time it went off my DH and I both ran into his room afraid someone was in the room with him. Lesson learned I now play with all the functions on all toys so no sounds freak us out like that again.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Could just be your brain playing tricks on you. Could be in your sub-conscience you want another one?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• yup, I do home daycare and at nap time it seems like I am always hearing them cry.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Is it just a sense memory, like when you've had a baby, and then feel the kicking like you're still pregnant?

It could be. We used to have a dog that would use his paws really fast to lump his blanket into just the right shaped pile, and you'd hear his nails on the tile until he was done. Sometimes it would wake us up in the middle of the night if it took him a while or he timed it just right. Long after he died, once in a while, we'd wake up hearing that noise.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Gypsies would tell u that you are hearing your kids yet to come. But in all honestly, my oldest child is 26 and i always get this sense and more so if she is upset or scared. once a mother always a mom. we are just tuned in forever.....lol....as for the cell, i always think mine is beeping or ringing and am forever checking it.....too many radio waves in the air, i guess.....don't worry, mom. check your phone and on the kids and relax....we all do it......at x-mas when all mine are home....i still get up in the middle of the night and check on them....their spouses find it endearing and my kids say "mom, i am grown, no monsters in the closet". and we all have a good laugh and hugs all around...
    southernlady184

Answer by southernlady184 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• amandajoy21: We do have several creepy toys that go off on their own, for no reason I can figure out. But none of the sound like a baby. I think the creepiest is a cow that plays the Jackson 5's "ABC" song...it just picks random times throughout the day and night to go off, it doesn't have an off switch, and we've had it for over 2 years and the batteries haven't gone dead yet. (Shudder, lol.)

hopeandglory53: I could see where it could be my mind playing tricks one me, but if it's my subconscience telling me I want another one, my subconscience is the one that's crazy, lol.

Graciesmom528: I recently started watching a 4 month old during the day. It's just a temporary thing to help another mom out. And. though it happens from time to time, it's really picked up recently. Maybe having another baby in the house, even for a couple hours a day has put my mommy-brain on high alert aga
    hediwgsopenbook

Comment by hediwgsopenbook (original poster) at 7:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• NotPanicking: I'm sorry about your doggie. We had one that was a part of the family that passed away as well.

southernlady184: Thanks for the good advice! I don't think we'll be having any more, but it's nice to think that our senses about our kids continue even after they are grown. :)
    hediwgsopenbook

Comment by hediwgsopenbook (original poster) at 8:02 AM on Jul. 2, 2011