Dont Try Castor oil to induce labor!

The nurse at my hospital told me as I was being Discharged from TRI-og. DONT go home and try Castor Oil. It doesn't really help and most of the time it just gives you diarrhea all throughout your delivery and smells up the room for days. Its also very dangerous for your other intestines, it could really hurt you. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!

babyhuey2

Asked by babyhuey2 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Who cares about odors, right?!
    Health & safety are the priority.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• ~*Giggles*~... I bet those that have tried, learned, and been able to pass on the info... I bet they have a story that makes them blush! Hahahaha

I would die if I were the one passing on the lesson!!! LOL
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• honey, my great grandmother was 97 when she died and she was a nurse in her day......it is actually safer, then the meds hospitals give nowadays.....and if your baby is ready and just won't come...it does work....yes you get diarrhea but it flushes you out real fast and the benefit of it is you don't have to worry when you're pushing your baby out of having a bowel movement......no, sticking up the room for days. my grandmother gave my mother and her other kids castor oil when they were sick when they were kids (it was a common practice in the 50's) nobody died from it. ..........as for the labor, it induces labor by the pushing on the bowels and i have done it for four of my kids.....i carried them almost 10 full months and was tired and i took the castor oil and finally....A BABY!!!!! so relax.......our great grandmothers and grandmothers were doing it before all this modern meds....
    southernlady184

Answer by southernlady184 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• The side effects from castor oil can include:

• diarrhea

• vomiting

• contractions of the uterus (may or may not be labor)

• nausea

• potential side effects like dehydration (from loose stools and/or vomiting)

• fetal distress and meconium in the baby.

You have to ask... do the benefits justify the risks?? Your baby, your body... do you want to take the risk??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I have taken it to induce labor twice. It worked well for me. I cleared out was good to go for labor. Never vomited. Made sure not to get dehydrated. My babies were fine and were in no sort of distress. I took it at the suggestion of my midwife in order to avoid a medical induction. I was right at the 42 week mark both of the time.

As far as the meconium being passed there is no direct link. There is research showing that there is more babies born of Moms who have taken it, but at the same time more Moms take it at the past due mark which increases your chances of meconium. I think it just depends on how you look at the statistics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2011