Anyone up for a debate? Christians feeling oppressed about gay rights....

http://askanatheist.tv/2011/06/27/christian-privilege-not-being-allowed-to-dominate-others-doesnt-mean-youre-being-oppressed/

Its about gay rights, read the article and give opinions and such. please keep it civil :)

I do agree with what the author stated that gays should be allowed to get married. If it goes against your beliefs then dont marry a person of the same sex. The gay couple has no bearing on how you live your life. It does seem that majority of the people who are against same sex marriages are of a christian background. If two people love each other then they should get married. anyone remember when people of different races werent allowed to get married? Now a white woman can marry any man of any race she chooses, I dont see any harm in that. While I would never marry outside my race, those who do have zero affect on how I live or my beliefs.
so whats your take?

gothmama91

Asked by gothmama91 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Again, trying to dance around discussing the topic because it's been brought up before isn't "beating a dead horse". The horse isn't dead, and hopefully it will be resuscitated through attention. What I mean is, gay couples still don't have the same rights as heterosexual couples, so we can't close the topic. It's a "dead horse" when there is nothing left to discuss or argue in favor of (or against). Maybe, once gays have the same rights as everyone else, we can start complaining if this sort of question comes up in the future, but for now, we have to keep talking about it.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• If it goes against your beliefs then dont marry a person of the same sex..

This! This! This! That's really the only answer that matters. Even if someone wants to make it about salvation, nobody is responsible for their own salvation but themselves. There was a very good quote posted the other day, essentially saying that being told everyone else has to be treated as well as you is not the same as being oppressed. Too many people still need to learn that lesson.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• How does another group's rights that have nothing to do with you or your group, oppress you?

If you do not believe in gay marriage, do not engage in a gay marriage-

It's such a narcissistic approach.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:08 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• have a belief system and others here don't...

As of this point (where sisteract has answered. I don't know if another will pop up while I type) who are you claiming doesn't have a belief system, because so far, not a single person has participated in this question, including the OP, who does not?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• read it carefully before you jump :-)

I get what you mean - I'm sure homosexuals find it equally oppressive when they are forced to live as heterosexual even though they aren't comfortable with it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Honestly I can care less... don't say it to be mean... just get tired of the same debate... the horse is dead and everyone can stop beating it?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Eilish - Because "separate but equal" has worked so well in the past, right?
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 8:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

This! This! This!

And again, This this this.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Sorry - referring to your point #4. I agree with you on all else. I just wonder how people can resurrect separate but equal and NOT remember how that went for the civil rights movement.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 8:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• The debate room is next door :-)
    I am SOOO not opressed by this. I am not the one choosing to be gay. That would be oppressive to me. ( read it carefully before you jump :-) )
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2011