Is there really profit in opening a daycare? Or is it not worth the time?

lmorga006

Asked by lmorga006 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Depends... first of all you have to do federal background checks (Costs), licensing (costs), changes to your home/daycare (costs and a pain)… but if you will be living where you are for a really long time it is worth it, if you are doing it long term! Keep in mind if you move you have to do it all over again… the whole process

Oh, and different state/counties have different rules/regulations
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• It really depends, yes you can make money if 1 you are saving on your own child care and 2 you can get all your slots filled. The hardest part is filling your slots.
    I have more part time then full time which make it difficult.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• friends of mine have had home daycares, it's a lot of paperwork and keeping up with taxes.
    I was always worried about one of the kids falling down and getting hurt. Another kids hitting one and hurting them.
    I don't think, I could do it. BUT was so glad to have friends who did daycare when my kids were young.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• The fees in KS were less than $100 and most of the changes to my home I was going to do anyways, my little one was 8 months old at the time.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I would think yes... if you have enough children in your care you can make a ton!
    My daycare provider charges a very nice fare rate of $30/day... many charge a lot more. But with her as an example if my son happen to go full time she would get $150/week = $600/ month on one child. He max is 5 children so she could make $3000/month if she had children in all of those spots full time. (she doesn't because she is one of the only people I could find that take kids part time)
    So a gross income of $36,000 which I think is pretty nice for being able to work from home. And lets say you charge $40/day... $48,000 :)
    (probably more because I assumed that there were only 4 weeks in a month and that isn't always true)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I'm sure there is some profit, but it's not enough to make it worth it (for me).
    MommyCatalina

Answer by MommyCatalina at 12:45 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• My aunt pulls in 76,000/yr doing home daycare. Now she's been in it a LONG, LONG time (15 years). She is licensed and educated, and charges a pretty good fee. She has about 12 to 15 in her care kids too.
    Anonymous