Chores???

i have a 3 year old DS and a almost 5 year old DS - do you have your kids at this age doing chores around the house? if so what kinda method do you use & what kinda chores do you give them???

ktidwell

Asked by ktidwell at 12:02 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I used poker chip when my kids were that young, the red, blue and white - were worth different points. They could save thier chip for movie rental, a treat at the store or save up for a toy.
    When they got to be older, I put their first intial on the chips becaus they started saying someone else took thiers. UGH..
    We had little buckers from Target to keep them in the kitchen.
    Chores - the 3rd old would be mostly helping you with laundry, clean her room, put toys away.
    5 yr old - help with dishes, fold laundry, keep room clean
    Goodl age appoperate chores and charts.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• ever watch "Supernanny" the chores for them at that age is picking up their toys and maybe have them put their dirty clothes in the hamper or maybe help you with something easy.....my lil ones love to use the shameys to dust where they can reach or hand me clothes out of the dryer or put them in. i have a chart that you can make online or make yourself . it makes them smile if they get a clothes pin on their line for being good and helping....then at the end of the day...maybe a treat or extra book read.....depending on the number of good days during the week, at weeks end, i will take them to the play place or someplace they like to go....even grandma's.....I have used this with all 15 of my kids and it has worked....the older they got i updated chores and rewards.......now my kids are doing it with theirs.....there is nothing in the world like the smile of child who knows he has done well and been helpful...
    southernlady184

Answer by southernlady184 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i have a 6 yr old! she cleans her dishes off after meals, she keeps her room clean, brushes teeth everyday and night, put her clothes in the hamper and puts her clothes away when they are clean! she sets the table at meals as well! if she is good all day and does her chores she gets a star on her chore chart and at the end of the week she gets a piece of candy or something small! or she can save her stars and get something bigger at the end of the month! like she wanted a pillow pet so after one whole month of her being good she got one!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• get them a toy bucket and play with them but make it a point to tell them they have to put their toys away
    mom557

Answer by mom557 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Picking up toys
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 1:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Yep, my kids each have certain chores they are assigned to do. We use a sticker/chart system, when they do the chore they get a sticker, and if they get X# stickers per day they can pick a treat out of the reward bucket.
    Some of the chores include - putting their clean clothes away, picking up their toys/room, making their bed (well pulling the covers/comforter up anyway), my 5yr old is responsible for feeding and watering the cats, checking the mail box (he LOVES to get the mail and is good friends with our mailman). My older boys have chores like taking the recycles out, putting dishes away, taking the dirty hampers downstairs, bringing the clean laundry baskets upstairs, sweep up the floors....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• At 3 my kids were cleaning up their rooms (putting toys in correct bins, dirty clothes in the hamper, books on shelves, bedding on bed but not made), putting dirty dishes in the sink, cleaning up spills they made in the kitchen, helping bring in groceries (mostly bread and stuff like that... whatever they could carry), keeping their things picked up in other rooms of the house, helping fold their clean clothes and putting them away, helping unload the dishwasher. By 5 they were doing all that without help but also cleaning off counters, sweeping, helping take out the trash and, now, my 5yo takes her turn cleaning the kids' bathroom (using baby wipes instead of chemicals). My 5yo also likes to dust and help in the yard. She has all the same chores as the older kids but I don't expect her to do them as perfectly as them. She has to try, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• my oldest 2 are 6 and 4. They have to put away their laundry (after I fold it), help me put away the dishes (whatever they are able to) and clean their room. I just recently started having my 6 year old dust as well.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2011