Can you change your childs Godfather?

Long story short my brother is a piece of shit and doesnt deserve to be my daughters Godfather as of yesterday he is no longer in our lives for good and I wanted to know if there is any way to change her Godfather to someone more deserving?

My brother and I have had a rocky relationship argued a lot over the years but as he gets older he gets meaner and more evil towards me and my parents he is verbally abusive and its gone to the point where he can no longer be forgiven. I forgave and forgave for my mothers sake. He is my only brother and we started to mend our relationship in doing that i thought bringing the family together with my daughter was going to really work out she has brought life back into this family. But the evilness in him just has not gone away things are okay for a little while then one thing happens and he goes psycho and explains his hatred towards us and you can only hear words like I am dead to you so many times you no? anyway dont want to get to much in to detail about all my family drama just wanted to know if it is possible to change it now?

Linda_PF

Asked by Linda_PF at 12:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Since a godparent is to assist you in raising your child in your faith, anyone can fill this role. So yes, change your child's godparent if you feel you need to. (If you feel a godparents roll is to raise the child if you pass then make sure that is in writing in a will, b/c the courts don't see it that way.)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Yea I have been thinking about that alot needing to write a will for her sake god forbid anything happens to us...thank you for your response.
    Linda_PF

Comment by Linda_PF (original poster) at 6:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Since "godparents" is not a legal term any more, I'd say talk to your priest/minister.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• How did your brother receive the term godparent? What does the term godfather mean to you? If you are Catholic it is hard to change the godparents. I found out one godparent was atheist and that was enough for me to look into changing the godparent, Unfortunately it is as hard as changing the parent on a birth certificate.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 10:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2011