When u have a boy adult content

does it hurt them when they get the extra skin removed an how does it affect them whats the risk. i dont want him to hurt or cry i would feel so bad

BOOKER123ABC

Asked by BOOKER123ABC at 12:19 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I fully agree with you. They have actually proven that there is NOT any increased risk in an uncircumcised penis (as long as they are taught how to properly care for it). Circumcision doesn't lower STD risks or transmission rates. The only proven health benefit is that it lowers the risk of penile cancer, which is extremely rare either way.
    We wanted to leave the decision to our son, too. I say discuss with your husband and again, talk to other men if you can and do your research. The procedure is... frightening, IMO. Most, if not all, babies cry. They pull the foreskin over the shaft so it extends beyond the penis, and cut it. It can't feel good during or after! The numbing medications wears off at some point, if it's even used (not always used during the procedure).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Ask to see a demo of the procedure, including when they strap down the infant. We did a lot of research, and we decided not to circumcise our son, even though DH is. Fewer and fewer people are doing it now (less than 50% of US boys born now are circumcised), so there really won't be the "locker room" thing they used to think there'd be. There are risks with any surgical procedure, there aren't any real health benefits, and it requires more care after a circumcision (basically none if left intact). Do some serious research before you make your decision. Talk to guys in your life you might feel comfortable asking about it. We talked to my brother, who's not circumcised, before we made our decision. Nice to get both perspectives (since DH is).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Of course it hurts and yes he will most likely cry, most baby's do.. However it is only for a few minutes.. As for the risks, you will have to research that to come to your own conclusion..

I did circumcise my son.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Its not something that is necessary so i didnt do it for my son. I figure it hurts when i get a paper cut so it must definitely hurt to have skin removed from your private regions.
    mami2emily

Answer by mami2emily at 12:32 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I didn't do it. My son has never had any penis pain or problems. You should really look into it more thoroughly (I hate to assume, but you called it "extra skin" instead of "foreskin"...it has the purpose of protecting the glans and enhancing sexual sensation; the practice of circumcision, as that cut is called, was largely popularized in America about 100 years ago in an attempt to prevent boys from masturbating...it didn't work), and then make your decision whether or not to have surgery performed on your newborn. It is done every day and most boys are just fine...however it's not as if there aren't risks (including death and penile disfigurement/loss). You should learn the proven risks and benefits (lowers risk of AIDS transmission, but not as well as condoms) before deciding what to do. Whatever you do, know that you're doing it for the right reasons and what complications to look for...it's the responsible thing to do.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 12:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• It is a surgery so yes they experience pain and occasionally the foreskin will reattach to the penis and have to be fixed by your pediatrician. For the actual procedure many doctors will use a topical numbing gel, but once the procedure is done they will be tender for a few days or that is how long it seemed like my son was uncomfortable after his circumcision.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• aww sounds so bad. i know that my mom said he needs to get it so that it lowers the infections an stuff but should he make this his desion when he gets older like y should i make this for him know. it his life an his thing. idk i guess i dont understand cuz im not a guy i think ill let my hubby decide on this .
    BOOKER123ABC

Comment by BOOKER123ABC (original poster) at 12:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• A couple days after I had all my boys the nurse would put some numbing stuff on them and then they would cut it off and mine never cried, at least thats what the nurses said.
    retent

Answer by retent at 12:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• thats what i said y have him go through so much pain. but i hope we have a girl. but realy want a boy we will find out tuesday. so i guess i will have to get talken to people. if its not necessary to have for medical reasons then y do it an will insurance pay for it if its not necessary.
    BOOKER123ABC

Comment by BOOKER123ABC (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• My theory on this is to have your son look like dad. I don't think, it hurts him. IF it does it's no different then givng them shots or when they take the blood from thier heal for the blood testing.
    Without there is more chance of infections and other problems.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 2, 2011