Was anyone else's day like this?

Okay, I admit it.
I am NOT the most patient person around. Sometimes I'm not the easiest person to be around, either.
But I have really been trying and working on not yelling so much. And it has been working, for the most part.
I see that my kids are calmer, more relaxed, and of course we are having more fun together.
But why, for the love of all that is good and holy, do they have to choose the one day when I am overtired, stressed out as all heck, to bicker non-stop?!?!?!?
They haven't been like this in so long, and I don't know what the hell is going on today!!!! They are literally driving me insane! I am about to walk right out the door and take a walk to calm the heck down because they are seriously working on my very last nerve!
They are calling each other names, and just being ugly in general. I know it's late and they're still awake, but they stay up late all the time and they don't usually act like this. I can't figure it out. I mean, yeah, all kids fight and bicker (you should have heard me and my bro - those were some EPIC battles, haha, and I KNOW we drove my mom nuts) but what is bringing about this sudden onset of ugliness? I keep repeating to them, over and over, if you can't say anything nice, please don't say anything at all. How hard can this possibly be?
It's like they are being mean to each other on purpose! Is this a new game I don't know about? See who can win the Biggest Meanie award?
For whatever reason, I could not sleep last night. I slept all of an hour and a half and then I had to get up and go to work. Whenever I have to be up early, I always end up tossing and turning all night long. And then at work we have had an enormous amount of people coming in because it's officially summer and people rent more movies during the summer (especially Fridays in the summer) than any other time during the year. So it was a really stressful day at work. Are they purposely trying to make this day have the worst possible ending?
Okay, so that was more than one question. Whatever.

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 12:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Man your lucky! Mine do that every day! They don't stop until someone draws blood either!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You pretty much answered your own question. You may not be outwardly showing that you are tired from not sleeping, but kids can pick up on the stress from it, and in turn they act out. It does seem as if when we are at the end of our ropes, the kids are acting even worse. When mine argued (I only have one left at home so she's basically an only child) I would make them sit on the floor facing each other and say 10 nice things about each other. The couldn't get up until they finished. They couldn't repeat what the other one said. As adults they told me they didn't really mean it. I knew that, but I also knew they had to think of nice things to say and it took them away from being mean to each other. They hated it. Which meant that it was a punishment that worked.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Heehees, attap5, that is a great idea. :D :D :D :D I am going to try that !!!!
    chavela_carlita

Comment by chavela_carlita (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2011