Taken from a diff question.... Why sterilize baby bottles?

What is the reasoning behind sterilizing baby bottles? Why can't we hand wash or just use the dishwasher?

Aren't you worried that the baby won't develop the much needed immunities against normal everyday bacteria if the bottles are sterilized?

Just wondering. I will have to start making up bottles soon and I am thinking that it would be a waste of time and energy. I want to know both sides of the story.

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 6:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• I boiled the bottles and nipples before I used them the first time, then I used the dishwasher. Before I had a dishwasher, with my first 2, I used hot soapy water (in a clean sink). I was told by their doctor that was all that they needed after the initial sterilization. And to make sure they hang upside down to dry. They never got sick, or thrush. Ok, the oldest one got thrush, but he also sucked on my fingers. And it was very easy to get rid of.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I just throw them in really hott water then wash them
    Anonymous

• I asked my dr how to wash them and she said put them in the dishwasher. So that's what I do. You can get at Target containers that hold the nipples in place in the dishwasher. Handy little thing to have.
    Anonymous

• i NEVER sterelized my daughters bottles. We always hand wash them.. seperately from the other dishes. hot water and dishwashing detergent does has the same effect. ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I didn't steralize mine. I just soaked them in hot water for a few and then washed them. I never put them in the dishwasher cause I wanted to make sure they were really clean. I have a friend that just had a baby and she still boils all her stuff....she hates doing dishes, so she says that's her reason for doing it.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 6:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• you sterilize them to kill the bacteria that can breed from/on/in the milk. washing them in the dishwasher does not get them hot enough to kill this bacteria.
    Anonymous

• Sterilizing kills like the bacteria that cannot be killed in a dishwasher, I only use my sterilizer for the first few months and then it's on to dishwashing. I love my sterilizer, tis beautiful..
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 6:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Very little ones can develop thrush. It's a nasty white fungus in their mouth. Our Daughter had it as a 1 month old. Her cousin kept putting her pacifier in her mouth.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• oldermomof5. Thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth caused by the formula hanging out in warm, moist, and dark areas of the mouth. Why would sterilizing a bottle prevent it?

FYI, I don't know which is why I ask why you bring it up
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 6:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Depends on who you talk to. They are both right. One is a fugus the other is yeast infection. They look the same and have the same name. It goes back to when they didn't know the difference.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2008