Sleeping on your back @ 8 months is it okay?

i just wanted to know if it's okay to sleep on my back me being 8 months i need to know?

newmami2011150

Asked by newmami2011150 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I slept on my back the entire pregnancy times three!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:12 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• thanks harris4
    newmami2011150

Comment by newmami2011150 (original poster) at 1:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• NP! I actually couldn't sleep on my side because it was uncomfortable, almost painful. Dr said baby just probably put too much pressure on something and to sleep on back. problem was solved! lol
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• ohh okay because i thought that it was bad for the baby i thought that it did somethin to the baby ! =c but it's a go...
    newmami2011150

Comment by newmami2011150 (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Doctors recommend that you avoid sleeping on your back after your first trimester because it causes you to unintentionally focus your weight on a major vein that moves blood to the heart from your feet and legs, which in turn forces the heart to work harder. But doctors also tend to be quick to tell you not to worry about it if you wake up and find that you've rolled onto your back. Changing positions while you snooze is normal, and losing sleep over whether you're in the right position doesn't do anyone any good.

That said, it's recommended that you train yourself to sleep on your side -- ideally your left one because the position improves blood flow throughout your body, including to your uterus and fetus.

Using body and regular pillows as sleep props is a great way to help you get and stay as comfortable as possible during the coming months.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:32 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• During the second half of pregnancy, avoid sleeping on your back, a position that puts the full weight of your uterus on your spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put you at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• All this is what he informed me of however he followed it by saying he has seen cases where complications arise due to a pregnant mother that smokes. Yet no cases because a woman sleeps on her back. He said it would be fine and it was. However if you just don't feel comfortable don't do it. My sister also sleeps on back and is preggo.....9 1/2 months!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• He said before any of this occured i would wake.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• yeah i just cant wait to sleep on my belly
    newmami2011150

Comment by newmami2011150 (original poster) at 1:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• they always say not to but i was always on my back, i would never go to sleep that way but everytime i woke up i was on my back lol i never had any problems except that it might have made my pregnancy snoring worse.
    sarah8910

Answer by sarah8910 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2011