What's the difference between aioli and mayo?

I can't stand mayo like at fast food restaurants, or Kraft or Miracle whip but I love the cilantro or the garlic aioli at a local restaurant since it doesn't have that vinegary or briny taste. What's the difference?

jazzminesun

Asked by jazzminesun at 6:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Food & Drink

• aioli is garlic and oil over pasta.....may and miracle whip have egg and oil and spices.....
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Mayo is made from egg yolks and oil... with salt and pepper and lemon juice.

Aioli is a flavored mayo- the typical way to make an aioli is to use mayo and add garlic, roasted red peppers, sometimes basil pesto, it really depends on what it will be used for... For instance for a shrimp sammie, I would use garlic and old bay seasoning in a mayo and voila it becomes an aioli.

I am a Chef turned SAHM and used to make them on a regular basis.. I still do occasionally, it just depends on my mood. You are actually just enjoying a flavored mayo! :-)
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 11:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2008