If the arrest you what do they test for?

My husband got arrested tonight because his tag lights were out. And he can not do those test they make you take because of his back. Well they arrested him and took him to the hospital to see how much alochol he had been drinking. But he hasnt been drinking. So what are tehy going to test for. He is on a bunch of meds for his bipolar-schizoaffective disorder.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• If he has a medical condition, I would suggest he get a letter from a doctor that he keeps on him or in his car at all times. From the details you have provided, I think you should get an attorney and sue for a wrongful charge (disability discrimination) and you will most likely win. Did he tell them at the time of the arrest of his medical conditions? Also, make sure you see a copy of his arrest warrant to see what they charged him with. Make sure his story is clear with you before you take action. I think that medical conditions are usually noted on the driver's license somewhere and if he doesn't have it, he should look into getting it. Talk with a lawyer about getting damages (monetary compensation and/or an injunctive order) for the process of expunging (removing) the arrest from his record.

www.legalmatch.com

www.Avvo.com (A v v o.com) - Free questions and free attorney referrals and screeni
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• they will do a blood test to check for alcohol and drugs. as long as he has a script for the meds he is on then he is fine. I assume if they find anything that is a scheduled drug (as in narcotics and similar) they will ask for a prescription bottle or get info from his dr or pharmacy.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Just so you know... you should dispute every legal incident and not just take the charges willingly. Even things such as parking and speeding tickets should be contested since it could be dismissed if they can't prove their case and you enter any doubt into what had happened. Police enforcement is not always (and in my experience only 50%) error-free. It's based on discretionary judgment and it's bound to have errors. And yes, it's true, that some police do hand out excessive and inaccurate violations to meet a quota or to get "funding." Unless it's a really small town where the judge has nothing else to do, usually a judge will come down hard on the police for wasting their time w/such frivolous charges. I'm an experienced legal assistant so trust me, fight for your rights.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 9:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• and if you are talking about field test, its walking in a straight line, holding arms in front of you and being instructed to touch the tip of the nose with each hand, counting backwards or saying alphabet back wards. and I feel like im missing something in that.

not sure by what test you meant...
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 2:42 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• He was ARRESTED because his tag lights were out?? Wow, that's a bit extreme!!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:42 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• not really some cops are a0holes. my dh was arrested cause he forgot to put his turn signal on while changing lanes. just the other day i got fined cause my music was too loud in my car. i had the volume set at 3..factory stereo and speakers in an older car. he said he could hear my music when he pulled up next to me. I had all 4 windows down cause i have no a/c in my car, of course you are going to hear it when your windows are down and your in the lane next to me.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 2:46 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I am not really sure what is going on I just know the tags lights were out and we didnt know it and they arrested him. He can get out tomorrow but I have to find someone to pick him up at 8 in the morning. because that is when the bail bonds man can come. i am just really upset right now. the police in this town are hardasses and will throw you in jail for anything
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:27 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• he also said that he passed all the tests they gave him except the one where he had to stand on 1 leg for 30 seconds.\
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• If he truly wasn't drinking, and has prescriptions for his meds then there should be no problem. A blood test or field sobriety test will prove his innocence....
    You asking so many questions makes it sound shady.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• If he is on medication that affect his judgment, prescription or not, he can still be arrested for driving under the influence. There must have been some indication to the cop that he was impaired or he wouldn't have been asked to take a field sobriety test.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:51 AM on Jul. 2, 2011