Can the court force me to have an amniocentesis in Colorado? EDIT adult content

Hello, my husband whom I used to think was going to be my love forever is divorcing me (but claims he wants to get back together, but I don't) & he very clearly blames me for the divorce. Long story short, he started showing extremely strange, angry behavior (never hit me, but grabbed me, blocked doorways, drove angry even with me in the car, lied about me being abusive towards him, took his wedding ring off & threw it several times once at me, accused me many times of being unfaithful, screamed in my face, called me names) just a few weeks after we found out I was pregnant. I told him to get into anger management. He promised it would never happen again & it got worse & worse. He was not taking initiative to get anger management & I was wearing thin (sometimes, I would stay at my mom's house due to fear & stress.) I told him many times that I would leave the house until he completed anger management if he didn't get into anger management ASAP, with me still living at home. Well, after so many times of staying, I decided that he had touched me for the last time. I decided to move out until he took anger management & until I was able to see that he truly had a grip on his anger towards me (keeping his hands to himself while angry.) Soon afterward, he served me with divorce papers on 5-25-11. Once I heard divorce, our marriage died in my heart... now he is trying to come up with more reasons why our "marriage" is failing & for the first time ever, he is all of the sudden questioning me if our unborn (5 months pregnant) son is his. He is trying to pinpoint/calculate an exact day of when our son was conceived corresponding with my due date, but says we didn't have sex on that day or for a couple of weeks after... how the fudge does he remember the exact dates we had sex back then, anyway? I don't even remember. He says the day he figured that I must have conceived was the only night I went out with a girlfriend to the bar to have ladies night (which he showed up uninvited & unwanted, btw) & we didn't have sex that night... we fought because he accused me of having unfaithful intentions towards other men because I didn't want him to interrupt my girl time. So, basically, he is telling me if I fraggled another guy that night to be "honest." Yes, this is the unfortunate case of my son's father... immaturity at its finest. He thinks he knows how a woman's ovulation cycle works. (He's not a doctor or the least bit interested in knowing how a woman's body works from the inside, in case that ran through your mind. I believe this is a ploy to mess with my head unless he is really this insecure.)
FURTHERMORE: Since I don't have a lawyer yet, I was wondering if anyone knows- Can the court order/force me to have an amniocentesis in Colorado? If so, can I petition against it? I doubt that anyone would be looking forward to having a needle shoved into their abdomen, especially while there are possibilities of fetal injury/risks. This would be a sad, unnecessary procedure for my baby & myself to go through.

Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: After I replied to him, by saying "wow," I received an e-mail from him saying, "Please call me as soon as you can. I shouldnt have brought that up, i overstepped my boundries... just please call me." Oooh my. What am I to do?

FlutterBabyXO

Asked by FlutterBabyXO at 3:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• hugsi dont know but most places will not do that they just wait till the baby is born then do a dna test .and maybe it is a good thing that he dont think it is his so maybe you can move on with your life with out him in it ,i know that sounds mean but if he is that bad with you just think what he would be like with a baby .good luck ill be praying for you !!

vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 4:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No. No-one can force you to have an amniocentesis, as it is a risky procedure and can cause you to lose the baby. You may be asked to allow DNA testing on the baby after he's born though. *hugs* What a sorry sorry mess. What can I say: men can be real jerks. Lean on your friends, know you are beautiful and wonderful, and get on with your new life without him.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 4:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Wow. If I were in this situation, I would say "Fine, that baby isn't yours!" just to get away from him and keep him out of the baby's life. He sounds extremely unstable. And I agree with the rest, they would wait until after the baby was born to do a DNA test.
    Tommyskitty

Answer by Tommyskitty at 4:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No but when then baby is born it could be demanded.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:55 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Don't be too offended that he thinks the baby isn't his, I think this is typical behavior for a man like him. Quite possibly he was cheating on you, so it's easy for him to believe you did so as well. Just let him know he's welcome to pay for a DNA test when the baby is born. I wouldn't worry about it beyond that. Since you know the truth and I'm assuming have already told him, there's no reason to argue. In my state if you're pregnant, you can't get a divorce until the baby is born and there is a dna test.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 7:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No you can't be forced. actually even its a medical reason they want to check the baby noone can force you. so just wait until the baby is born and do the test then. it sounds like a awefule mess and i wish you all the luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:15 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I dont think they can force you to have it. A court can't order medical procedures really. I would suggest at least getting a free consultation from an attorney in your area if you have legal concerns. Justanswer.com also lets you ask these type of questions for a negotiated low fee, depending on how much you're willing to pay.

A v v o.com is also a good site to ask these kinds of questions.
    http://www.avvo.com/

Find and compare legal rates via:
    www.legalmatch.com
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No because the rate of losing the baby is 20%+ for women having the amnio. They will not force you to risk the baby's life on the man's whim. Although his lawyer can take you to court and ask, just have the facts together about the risks for your lawyer and you will be good to go.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• one of my friends was going to a DNA test to prove who the dad was he wanted her to get this done by the courts but she waited till after the baby was born to prove it and we live in colorado
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 1:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2011