Dying your hair when your pregnant?

I'm about 9 weeks pregnant and my roots look terrible! I want to go to the salon to get it fixed. I asked 2 doctors in my practice if it's okay. 1 said yes and the other one said he doesn't want me to due to the chemicals. Now I'm confused so is it okay or not?

Alyssa646

Asked by Alyssa646 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had my hair died throughout both my pregnancies. My doctor said that it was perfectly fine as long as the salon was well ventilated. When they put the dye in go outside and get some fresh air. I have heard that you should have them test on part of your hair first because sometimes dye does not take well when you are pregnant. I don't know if it's true though.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 6:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Only if you're brave. So many things can happen. Hair can get brittle and break or you might end up with a real funky color. The main reason why is your hormones can cause funky things to happen to your hair. There is no way for the chemicals to affect the baby. It's on your head not going in your mouth. Plus there's not enough for you breathe in.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I was told that it is ok. The dye is made safer the it used to be. It may not take the same way as it used to though
    pams4

Answer by pams4 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• It's perfectly safe! Just make sure you are not using a dye/bleach with clorine in it... Otherwise you'll be fine!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• It's perfectly fine! I was in beauty school while I was pregnant! My OB had no problems with it. I did nothing different, nor did I stop dying my hair! It's ok, go get your hair done!
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 6:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My OB, midwife and friends told me not to. The smell of the chemicals isnt that great.. neither for you, nor for your unborn.

and you dont need to dye your hair.. you are pregnant that makes you beautiful no matter what ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my OB told me after the first trimester, as long as I go to a salon and stay in a well ventilated area.
    BUT, to watch out because the chemicals and your hormones all out of whack, can make your hair turn a different color than you want.

I'm just waiting until after I have my baby. My roots are half way down my head but you know, I'm 8 1/2 months pregnnat, I have more important things to worry about.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My docs gave me the green light. They said that back in the day (I don't know how far back) there were more toxic chemicals used and there were no real studies done to prove if it is harmful to the baby or not.

One doc told me that if you get an older beautician that he/she may refuse to do any dying because of what they were taught in school. Most beauticians will dye your hair because they know it is safe in a well ventilated area.

I was also told that it is just as safe to dye at home providing that you are not closed up in a small bathroom.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 6:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I was told not to dye my hair. I haven't dyed it since I was pregnant last year. Pregnant again. Talk about roots, I'm turning gray at 28! LOL
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• You can do it after 5 months..I feel ya..I got married while 10 weeks preg...No tan and no nice highlights..blah.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2008