What are some things that turn you off of a book?

Like heavy dialogue, weak characters, certain time periods, certain language usage (like cussing, books that read too much like a conversation, language that isn't "current," etc.), too many pages in a chapter, etc.

What makes YOU dislike a book, besides not liking the story line or genre.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I can't stand reading sex scenes. I much prefer character development and a strong story line and sex scenes take away from that.

Another pet peeve is too much description on surroundings (such as going on and on about the blue sky and how it makes a purple flower shine against the blah blah blah). Give me character interaction instead!
    Tommyskitty

Answer by Tommyskitty at 4:42 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• too much description on surroundings is annoying I've been reading a book series and she does that too much for my liking but most of the story and character development are good so I keep reading
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 5:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• too much back story-history , too many people to keep track of!

I'm not a big reader though anyway...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• too much dialogue and too many characters, and a map that i have to refer to waaay to often lol
    or those books where you can just tell they are trying to be a good writer by using big words.
    i like books where it just sounds like they are talking to you, you know so it flows
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I can't read books that don't develop the characters well and use excessive cursing that it down plays the writers ability to tell the story. I downloaded a free ebook for my Nook app and the book was unreadable due to excessive cursing and poor development. She used a curse word just about every sentence and jumped around so much it was hard to understand why the characters behaved the way they did.

If I don't like the cover art a lot of times I will not pick up the book unless it is an author I like. Normally I look at the cover, if I like the art, then I will read the back cover and decide whether or not to buy the book.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Too small Print, and too much background detail
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I hate reading nonfiction books and seeing all the footnotes in the bottom of the page or back of the book because I feel compelled to check them. And, if I check it out from the library and it smells like cigarette smoke.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I'm with DianeMary and Tomskitty. I hate when the author write too much detail about the surroundings. I'll skip over it if it gets too long.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• When I've read nearly the entire book and get toward the ending and you can tell that the writer was hurrying it along to meet a deadline! I can tell. They cut it short, hurry it along unlike the rest of the entire story. It's very disappointing and just doesn't 'fit' with the rest of the story.
    Also, too wordy, too much detail as other posters above me has said...that will make me put a book down pretty fast or skip over parts and that makes me feel like I've cheated on reading the entire book.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2011