Help! My daughter has totally forgot her manners and lately has become someone I never thought I'd se her be?

Ok my daughter is going into third grade, she is only child. I am not sure if that fact has anything to do with her attitude change. She used to express this quite a bit, asking me when or how she could get a brother or sister or what she needed to do to be able to get one etc. I told her God decides when a baby is coming and thats just how it is, she was not satisfied completely with that answer. She knows her Biological father and I were never married and that he is no longer in our lives. She asks me complicated questions about why God would choose to give a baby to 2 people who wouldn't be raising the child together and why if 2 people (myself and my husband, her Daddy) wouldn't be given a child and they would do it together.....anyway these questions go on and on. I am really trying but truth is, we haven't got pregnant yet and we haven't investigated the reasons why. Maybe its age (he is 49,I am 32) or maybe something else but that doesn't convince her either. It seems as if she is deeply bothered about not having a sibling, I have 3 brothers and he has 3 sisters and a brother so we don't know what it is like at all. Is this just a phase or should I look into this further and share more of the medical facts of life with her? I don't know what to do, truth is we really would like a baby too but her constantly talking about makes it that more frustrating for us that it hasn't happened.

Adjustingspace

Asked by Adjustingspace at 4:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think the questions that she asks are quite normal and should not be seen as her being rude. She is curious. This is a time in her life where she is trying to understand everything. Give her the answers you have. If they are simply that you do not know then just reiterate that and she will come to learn that not everything has an explanation.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:52 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Sounds like she doesn't want you to sugar coat things for her. Tell her the medical side and explain to her that it is something that you want, and that you'll keep her informed when you know more.
    Tommyskitty

Answer by Tommyskitty at 4:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• My son was an only child until he was almost 10 (DD was born 4 months before his b-day). Hubby and I tried for years (4) before we got pregnant with DD. Sometimes things just take a while. Maybe in the meantime, you have friends that have younger children that she could spend time with, be a "big sister" to, it could help. Good luck
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• 1st of all, she sounds like a normal, curious girl of her age. My dau is the same age & has been asking A LOT of ques. lately too. Books geared for their age level can be found at the library. Read them WITH her. That way you are there to help w/ any ques. 2nd of all, I grew up an only child, & can tell you that from about the age of 5 or 6 until almost JR High, I wanted a little sis in the worst way. That was not in the cards, so I formed close, sister-like friendships w/ a handful of girls, that have lasted to this day! :) Get your dau into a team sport, Girl Scouts or some other activity that gets her around other girls her age, & gives her more opportunities to make new friends. She'll be fine no matter what happens. And tell her to be careful what you wish for... all my friends who had annoying siblings told me how lucky I was! :) lol
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• How is her asking those questions not mannerly?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• well if your trying to be honest ....then a straight forward answer of that really none of your business should do the trick......sometimes i think parents over share in the hopes of being honest and truthful with kids...but if she's in the 3rd grade that only make her about 7?....at that age do you really want her to know about sex and babies?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You blew it when you brought God into it. Either she knows that's a load of crap or she's afraid she did something wrong and now God won't bring her a sibling. Either way, you need to tell her the truth and apologize for lying to her. Otherwise she's just going to keep asking and/stewing about it.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 5:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2011