How do i get on the road to becoming a doctor from where i am now?

i finished high school on time, in 1998. i did 'school' in between, but then i 'got it together' and went to school in 2005-2006 for massage therapy and got to the finish line for that. but it was never my intention to just be a massage therapist. don't get me wrong, i give mad MAD props to my fellow MT's doing their thing, i just have an issue with all the b.s. and politics that surround the health field in general.

my goal is to become a doctor (internal medicine with a concentration in neurology/neuroscience)...also, i want to return to the days of doctors making house calls and home visits for those who just can't make it to the doctor. and, i want to provide my services for free/very little...like say the cost of a co-pay for coming into an office/barter system.

so.....anyone know or can anyone suggest how i'd do that?

HappyHmsklNapps

Asked by HappyHmsklNapps at 7:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• talk to a college guidance counselor!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Well, first get the degree, internships, and residencies needed! Then you could set up an office somewhere and start your practice. If you come out of school with student loans you will need to have an income to pay those off. If you don't then you obviously are in a great position to not worry about that. You would also need to find out about insurance and look into that closely. It is expensive. Do you have a doctor now? Call and ask if you can have a consultation with him/her and go well prepared with questions. Good luck with your dream!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You would need to attend a 4-year university/college and take the pre-medical track, which is the curriculum you would need to apply to a medical school. Medical schools require that you complete certain courses (usually science) and as well, you need to achieve a good score on the MCat (Medical College Admissions Test) before you apply to a school. I would suggest trying out a few science classes first to see if you can handle the intensity of the courses. If you are able to get good grades, then I would continue, try to finish college with a 3.0 or higher GPA & take the MCATS. You may also want to check out admission requirements for some medical schools you'd be interested in because not every school has the same requirements, that way you make sure you are addressing the required courses. Medical school is rigorous work so you must be very disciplined and have good time management.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:45 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Organic chemistry, Biology and Physics are usually the courses that determine whether or not someone can handle medical school.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I think you need a 4 year degree but I'd talk to a college counselor.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• To pick up where hellokittykat left off.... many medical schools also like to see extracurricular things on an application - volunteer work, etc. After being accepted, you will have 4 years of very intense coursework. At the end, you will complete away rotations to determine what specialty you would like to pursue and where you would like to complete your residency. Based on the rotations, residency programs submit their picks for residents and then "Match Day" will tell you where you go for residency. There are people who fail to match. Depending on which program, residency is between 2 and 6 years - anything with neurology will be more toward 6.

So, it takes 4 years undergrad, 4 years med school (if you're accepted), 2-6 years residency (assuming you match): 10-14 years of education with little or no salary and BIG educational bills. Good luck!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Yup.... 4 yr undergrad in pre-med, biology, etc..., 4 yrs medical school.... then the residency. Being a mom, and an older student you may qualify for a ton of grants... start applying like crazy! The country is seriously in need of Primary Care Physicians (PCP's) so there may be programs and grant to help if that is your intended specialty! Good Luck!!

If I had more direction and support when I was graduating HS that's where I probably would have landed too!! My 7 yr old wants to be a vet... and even if that changes I will fully support and help her with this goal, or any other!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Attend a 4 year university to get your bachelor then apply to medical school for the degree, you can do this if it is what you want!

Answer by older at 12:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• you ladies are awesome, and i will take all that has been said to me in consideration...thank you sooooo very much! hugs and kisses to you all!
    HappyHmsklNapps

Comment by HappyHmsklNapps (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011