Homeschool...are you for or against it?

i homeschool my kids! my oldest (now 9yrs old) started out going to public school, but after a while, we seen in his behavior, grades, overall school experience, that he wasn't getting the challenge he needed. and to make matters more complicated, my son has cerebral palsy...SO OF COURSE, that, plus him being a cute/likeable/nice kid, just made it all the more impossible for folks to tell this lil' joker 'no' or 'do it yourself' when needed.

he's been through rigorous testing, and despite the school's accusation that he should be in a learning disabled class, the psychological testing proved that he in fact was NOT 'LD'. now don't get your panties in a bunch ladies, i'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with a kid or person that is LD, but i think it's unfair to just slap that label on someone who just so happens to have a physical issue.

well, it was during this time that the idea to homeschool came back up...i spoke to his physical therapist, and i went forward with it. we initially were only going to homeschool him for a couple years, get him on track, then send him to a regular chicago public school...BUT then i started to see/hear a decline in the safety of the schools and the poor education...so i just decided not to. instead, we're going to homeschool (at least) up to high school.

but, what is your thoughts on homeschool?

HappyHmsklNapps

Asked by HappyHmsklNapps at 7:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• If you are homeschooling your kids and using grammar like "we seen..." and "what is your thoughts," then I'm scared for your kids.

Anonymous

• I am all for home school. You can control the quality of your child's education and the child will develop a deep bond for you as a parent with this kind of interaction. I wish I had been homeschooled. Public education has so many distractions, like bullying and cliques and red tape rules, that really impede the learning process and deter kids from learning to love learning. I remember, even as a kid, that honestly felt like public school was a waste of time up until 7th grade. My reasoning was that if you're going to make me wake up so early in the morning to "get an education" then I should really be learning something useful as opposed to doing busywork. I may be an exception but I really wanted to learn when I was younger and never felt like I got a quality education until later. You can't beat one-on-one attention w/homeschool either. You don't have to worry about attendance rules as much since u can still teach @home
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• There are cases where home Instruction is the ideal educational placement. Public schools try as much as possible to accommodate students with disabilities (physical or mental disabilities) but when in practice public schools tend to fail providing the right intervention. Public schools talk a lot about "Individualized" academic curriculums for each one of the students with special needs. I think that Public Schools intentions to provide an appropriate instruction are there but due to the Bureaucracy involving the process of elaborating an IEP ironically the implementation of such plan ends with it. A parent has more control when homeschooling.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I think if home school is best for your child, then do it. It seems your son benefits from this so I don't see why you'd need another persons opinion. As a mom, it's your JOB to raise your kid the best way you can and that's what you're doing.

I think it's a case by case basis. I would question a mother who can't read or write home schooling but that doesn't seem to be the case here. You should just do what you think is best.

At some point, however, I think your son should be involved in this decision. He may want to interact with the kids or he may want to attend school with them. If he's a mature young man, his opinion should be taken into consideration!
    MoNKeyBoyz

Answer by MoNKeyBoyz at 8:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• my LO is not in school yet so i can just speak from my own experience. i went to both public and catholic school. I believe I got a better education in public school however the school was good. now i was thinking about homeschooling because of where i live now but i might be moving by the time she goes to school and i am a single parent so i really can't. but i have thought about it because my mother was a teacher for 35yrs. but then again my dd goes to daycare so she already been socialized ect so i have no idea. i think homeschooling is not for everyone. I really find it fascinating that it really does work for some parents and children. Who knows i might have an opportunity down the road to do it. good luck with your homeschooling.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:08 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i'm neither for or against either option , i think you need to pick which works best for your child......dd 15 (16 in a month) goes to a public high school (her choice) ....dd 13 goes to a private country school (five miles from town) (her choice) .....ds 9 (aspergers, autism, anxiety disorder, ADHD) goes to a program for special needs kids.....so that a total of 3 kids and 3 schools.....just do whats right for that child...

cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• The trouble comes from a professional still not knowing what they're doing. I was against homeschooling for years, and I realize now how stereotypical my thoughts were. I'll be homeschooling my youngest this fall and I'm looking forward to it. Every child deserves to love school, and up til now he hasn't. It can be so much fun and I'm sad that the public school I had him in doesn't allow for that - they're more concerned with meeting state standards than they are educating children.

Homeschooling rocks - I've taught him how to read better within the past 2 weeks than he's learned in the past 2 years with public school. The thing is, you know your son best. If you've taken a proactive approach to his education, more power to you both :)
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I was a teacher for 8 years. i LOVED it. I just resigned at the end of the school year to stay home with my yo. I am stil a believer in the public school system. I worked my fanny off for my students. I put in way more than 40 hours a week-thus the need for a break! However, I know there are horrible teachers. I have worked with both horrible teachers and awesome ones. I had both great and bad teachers in my own schooling growing up. So only you can know if homeschooling is right for your child. I have a good friend who does a FANTASTIC job of teaching her kids at home. And then I have a cousin-in-law who is failing miserably at it. Her kids are sooooo behind (Middle school age child not even reading). So again, only you can know if it's right for your kids.
    Taterstots3

Answer by Taterstots3 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I think homeschool is a great option especially considering how poor some of the public schools do. I applaud parents who can do it becaise it certainly isn't an easy job.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I've been homeschooling since my oldest was in 6th grade, she is now 26. I would never under any circumstances put my children into public school. Of course I only have one left at home. I can tall you why they wanted to label him, because the school gets $3000 per child extra for a child that has an LD. After some issues at the school, I found out right from them. And they are allowed up to 30% of LD children before the money is taken back. 30% is an awful lot considering we had about 1000 kids in our high school and about 8 special needs children.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2011