How can I get my 17 month old to sleep in His toddler bed?

missbre

Asked by missbre at 11:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is really tiring, but all you can do is tell him that he sleeps in his own bed now because he is a big kid & keep taking him back to his bed when he gets up. Don't stay in the room with him because that will just create a second battle when you want to stop that. I have heard that a comfort item helps (stuffed animal, special blanket, etc).
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• seriously if you want that to happen you have to let them cry it out, my son sleeps in his bed every nite. its hard at first but they figure it out. watch super nanny.
    try looking up a video if super nanny has any on bed routines.
    even now after a year he still trys to get us to sleep in there with him and we cant because they get attached to that.
    its tuff but you will get there just like potty training.
    080583heather

Answer by 080583heather at 11:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• it might be to soon maybe hold off untilll after the new year if possible just a thought
    crazytrio

Answer by crazytrio at 12:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Put him back in his crib! It's too soon for him and as you have now found out too soon for you! I say keep them in there till they're 5. LOL
    s.c.a.r.l.e.t.

Answer by s.c.a.r.l.e.t. at 12:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• The good ol' let em cry method... my son went through this same thing, it was hard but I'd let him cry, on some nights that it was really bad I'd let him fall asleep with me then move him into his bed, he got so used to sleeping in it that he falls asleep in it no problem now.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I'm going to give advice as a mom who doesn't believe in using the cry-it-out method. And with never using it I have NEVER had a problem with my son and getting him to sleep or sleep in a new place...it's not necessary! Not to mention some people don't know all the dynamics of the Ferber method and just let their child cry themselves to sleep which is NOT the CIO method.

Anyways whew! My first question is, why did you move him to a toddler bed? In my opinion, if a child won't stay in their bed then they're not ready to be in it. I believe in taking my child's cues and a child that refuses to stay in his bed at night or those who stay up half the night playing...to me, aren't ready for the toddler bed. My son began sleeping in one at 18 months (after refusing to sleep in the crib anymore) and he has never...I repeat, NEVER climbed out. When they're ready they'll show you signs that they are. My honest advice is to put him back in the crib for now.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:21 AM on Jul. 13, 2008