Bad cough

My 6 and 8 year old have a bad cough they arnt congested but keep coughing,I cant get them into the doctors until tuesday and than my 8 year old has been up really early the last three mornings with a bloody nose,any recommendations until i can get them into the doctors. I tried delsym but it does nothing for them:( Thanks

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 8:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Sounds like your children are having a problem with the air being dry in your house. Try a humidifier or if you can't afford one, put some pots of water around. It could also be something in the house that the children are allergic too, but it seems funny that both of them are having issues at the same time. Delsym is awesome, but if it's not a cold/flu related cough, will not work. Try Benadryl or another allergy medication and see if it does the trick. If it does, you know it's an allergy to something.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Most people laugh at me when I suggest this, but they aren't laughing anymore by the next day. After the kids take their baths, dry off real good, put Vick vapor rub on their feet, cover with socks and put them to bed. This has worked every time, for all ages. Good luck!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Try giving them hot tea with honey in it. It may sooth their throats. You could give them herbal tea if you concerned about the caffine in regular tea...
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 9:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• 2 questions, based on my own kids coughs every summer: Are they on any daily allergy meds? (Claritin, Zyrtec) Have they gone swimming recently?

My 6yo doesn't appear to have much issue with seasonal allergies, but if we don't give her Claritin every day, she'll start coughing bad for days on end - but as soon as we start getting the Claritin back in her the cough goes away.

Same 6yo was totally healthy on Monday, went swimming Monday night, and woke Tuesday with a cough that's been getting worse. Thursday evening I started wondering if she inhaled some water. Friday took her to the doc who said her lungs are clear, but she does have some irritation most likely from the pool water - she's now on liquid oral Albuterol & ibuprofen 3x a day and it's already helping after just 3 doses of each.

Just a couple of ideas.
    Anonymous

• use Vicks on their feet and chest, then put socks n shirt, also use johnson n johnson vapor bath
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 6:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2011