So sick of the pain!

When I was 16 (9 years ago this summer) I was in a four-wheeler accident. On my left side I broke the ball in my shoulder, broke my shoulder blade, 3 ribs, punctured my lung, and snapped my collar bone in half. On my right side I tore my ACL in half, twisted and pulled all of the other ligaments, broke the small bone in my shin and bruised a nerve which left my foot paralyzed for about 2 months. I also chipped my spine. I had surgery to fix my collar bone and they put 6 screws and a plate on it. I also had ACL replacement surgery. But there is not a day that I do not hurt somewhere now. Where I broke my shoulderblade that muscle is messed up and now it spasms on a nerve, which sends pain radiating down my arm so bad I can't even open and close my hand. When it gets really bad my doctor will give me muscle relaxers. But I work 2 jobs and have an 18 mo old so I can't be doped up all of the time. My collar bone constantly just aches and I do something like try to swim or rake or shovel it hurts sSOOOO bad. Through the knee surgery and physical therapy I have developed tendonitis in both my patella tendons. And my lower back just hurts (I'm sure 30+ hours of back labor last Dec. didn't help that any...). I'm just so sick of being in pain. But I don't want to take medications all of the time. On top of all of this I have endometrosis and a recurring ganglion cyst on my wrist, chronic sinusitis and migraines that I've had since I was a child. My doctor has me taking 800 mg of Motrin 3-4x daily as needed. It does help manage the pain some, but it's still there. I'm just so sick of being in pain. I want to be able to wake up and not be in pain. I want to be able to go out into the pool and throw dd around and play with her without my shoulder killing me the next day. All of this is just really getting me down and I don't know how much more I can take. We don't have insurance right now, Dh is a temp at Toyota and should be getting hired on any day now, then we will have really good insurance. Does anyone have any (Cheap) ideas to relieve the pain? I usually feela little better if I can get to the gym and work out, do light weights and stuff. And I am looking into a good gym down here (we just moved). I do about 20 min. of stretches every morning and I can def. tell when I don't do them. I drink a TON of water every day and eat fresh fruits and veggies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Health

• I've heard great things about acupuncture. I have no idea what it would cost but it might be worth looking into.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 9:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• http://www.shopzilla.com/vitamins-nutrition/noni+juice/150/products

Both my mom and MIL drink Noni juice everyday and say it works! I may have to start taking if my bursitis gets any worse. I have been in physical therapy so many times(6 shots a steroids every week). I know what you men when you say that you just want to wake up one day and do what normal people do. I can't imagine all the pain you are going through right now. Look into this and I hope all goes well. GL!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• sounds like you could just need to relax more, and stop fussing.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 9:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Look into some yoga. You can even get a DVD and do it at home. Sounds like your time is pretty strapped. I do want to say that I think you are doing a wonderful job of trying to keep up with things instead of laying around like a lot of women with just a little backache and sucking up the system on disability. Keep at it and you will eventually overcome it, even though it was injuries. I do wish you luck and hope your husband gets full time so you can spend some more time with your LO.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• get to a chiropractic clinic...one that is geared more towards wholeness and works on and inside out mentality...add theraputic massage to that and you can have a much better quality of life
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• go to a chiropractor they do help I was in an accident 3 years ago and damaged my shoulder, arm and back and have been in therapy and going to a chiropractor since. I am in pain every day and some days are worse then others but it does help to have someone work with you. I still don't have full motion of my left arm but it is getting better. Good luck and feel better
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I have hip, back, and knee issues from a car accident I was in 4 years ago. I am almost always in pain too. Acupuncture worked amazing. It is costly, even with insurance (350 each time) and it was recommended 2 times a week. But being without pain for a day or two was great. You do have to watch what you do after your sessions. But it was great, I would highly recommend acupuncture, or maybe even a massage...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Chiropractor & massage - I alternate them every 2-3 weeks and oh man it helps soooooo much! Also there's a product called Biofreeze (I can only buy it from a chiropractor) that is amazing, especially combined with Advil.
    Anonymous

• time for a neurologist!

don't do chiropractor yet until you know the exact problem!
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I am a chronic pain sufferer too. I have gone to whole foods. No processed foods whatsoever. Drink coconut water. Not coconut milk. There is something in it that is soothing to the body. Helped me with cramping and is like eating 2 bananas when it comes to potasium. Do not drink soda. Drink green tea, iced tea with lemon, coconut water. Eat fresh fruits and veggies as they are great for your body. Try mediation when the pain is bad. Or just lay down, turn on some music, close your eyes and try to imagine the best place on earth that you can. I use the beach and the warmth of the sun and your body will relax. Add some low impact exercises and light weight lifting. See a pain management dr and go on low dose norco and soma. You will see a big difference. Lidoderm patches are expensive but work great too. Chronic pain is a chronic pain I know. I broke both legs, left arm, spinal cord in neck and low back.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 3:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2011