What else can I do to find out lost dog...what am I missing?

OKay so my dog was staying with a friend while we were away. He escaped! He has been gone over 2 days. We have put up posters, placed and add on craiglist, petfinder.com and put a note on facebook witha request that those in the area copy and repost. We have checked the local shelter, filing a missing report today, I have call and/or emailed local vets offices and groomers. I have email the poster provided by Home Again (his microchip company he is registered with) to several places. DH is taking posters to local gas stations... I even went so far as to email a few local news stations (not like that will happen but hey! I can say I tried it!) I looked into things like petamberalert.com but it is WAY expensive so is our local paper at $75 for the min space ad. Any other ideas??? He is micro-chipped so I feel like we will find him BUT he is pre bred and friendly so that makes me worry.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Pets

• Put flyers on mail boxes in the neighborhood. Good luck!

Answer by older at 9:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• The guy who lost him for us went door to door the last couple of days. Poor guy feels like crap!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• So your friend didn't even bother to run after the dog when it escaped? It would at least help to know the direction that the dog had gone. Does he respond to any pet whistles? You may also want to invest in a GPS monitor for pets, and it actually saves a lot of hassle if he ever escapes again. Sometimes including a reward on the flyers also helps. I would continue to comb on foot the general area of where he escaped. Sometimes pets also have a knack for finding their way home so also look at routes that he may have taken from that friends house to get back to yours. I knew a cat once that kept coming back to an old house after the family moved.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 9:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Have you offered a reward? People might be more inclined to return a dog if money is offered.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 9:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Of course they tried to chase him. It was raining and dark so it didn't take long to loose him. He typically comes when called but not to him apparently. I don't even 'have' to use a lease. He was nervous about being there (never been away from home before) the door opened by one of the kids and he darted between the kids legs. I blame no one. It just sucks.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Try the local vet offices. I agree about offering a reward. Around here there is a free paper that you can put ads in, or you may have to pay to put an ad in whatever local paper there is.

Answer by Bmat at 9:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• There is no money for a reward to be offered. What little money we have is going to have to be used when we find him to get him checked by a vet. We are in no position to offer anyone a reward. We are in no position to own pets lol but they were here before the hard times so they will be cared for.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I know you mentioned a lot of places you contacted but did not see Animal Control. If you did not already they would be a good place to contact. I hope you get your baby back soon.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 9:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• We did check there and DH is taking them pictures and filing a report today.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• When our dog ran away years ago, I took his picture to all of the local vets, took out an ad in the paper, and just kept looking along with extended family and friends. We found our boy, 3 weeks later, he looked rough and matted, but a bath and a visit to the vet fixed that. I hope you find your dog.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2011