Would you go in debt to feed your family or swallow your pride & ask for extra help?

I have a friend who works for the schools, & has a summer job for when school is out. The summer job does not pay as much, so she sometimes charges their groceries b/c after paying bills, there isnt enough $ left. I know there are churches & organizations out there to help w/ food donations to families in need. But my friend thinks since it's just temporary & there are others out there far worse off than them, she wont ask for help. What would you do?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• I ask for help when we need it. This weekend in fact I am broke. I got a child support check for $12.72, and $90 in the bank to last until next friday, and several mouths to feed. I am gonna ask for help. My kids need to eat.

Answer by gemgem at 9:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Been there done that. In fact we just sucked it up even more and applied for food stamps. As much as I did not want them it has eased a lot of stress in the house.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• As long as she can catch up during the school year than the way she is doing it is the way that I would.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• ask for help thats what its out there for
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I would and do get help anyway i can, it doesnt hurt anyone to swallow your pride and get help but it can hurt to cause your family debt because you have to much pride, it doesnt matter how poor you are or how much help you need, there is always someone worse off then you, so when you need help dont be afraid to ask for it, just remember that you should always help others when you can...
    lilliedoll

Answer by lilliedoll at 9:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i would swallow my pride and ask for help. my dh would run-up the credit til there wasn't any.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:52 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• In her situation, I'd charge it. I think she is right, she knows it's temporary and in this economy food banks are low on supplies. Let the help go to those that don't know when they'll have another payday.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I'd probably plan for it and save up a little money to get through the summer.

I don't think I'd charge it. We're a no debt family. But I'm not entirely sure that I'd ask for help either. Maybe a 2nd job to help buy food if there wasn't any savings to cover it?
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• The fact is, she knows she is not going to be working during the summer and should plan for that. Just like all of these people that NEED Christmas presents for their children. They know December 25th comes at the same time every year. Put away some of your beer money and buy the presents for your kids. That should be reserved for emergency purposes only, a sudden loss of job, a disaster (house burning, etc.), something like that.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• in her case i think i would be asking for the tempary help during the summer months .......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2011