what exactly is "drowsy but awake"?

nearly every book or article i've read about infants and sleep urges parents to put babies down "drowsy but awake" as a crucial part of getting them to sleep on their own. i got into the "bad" habit of nursing my son (now 6 months) all the way down to sleep from the start, and now i'm gently trying to break that habit. my hope is that he'll learn to fall asleep on his own, get back to sleep on his own, and fall asleep after a bottle from my husband (or a sitter) more easily.

my problem is that when i try to gauge when he's *almost" asleep but not quite, i'm often wrong and he's fallen asleep. and i can't stand to wake him back up again just so he can fall asleep on his own. for moms who do the "drowsy but awake" thing, what signs do you look for that your baby's drowsy but not totally out yet?

Mamastheword

Asked by Mamastheword at 6:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• super cranky and fussy . . and the major one . . and oh so cute . . rubbing the eyes
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• rubbing eyes, whiney, fussy, and "due" for sleep...
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Drowsy but awake in my opinion is when they have "heavy eyes" almost asleep but keep opening their eyes a little.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 7:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• His eyes should still be open... but getting ready to sleep. Usually rubbing their eyes is a good sign its time for bed.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2008