How long do contractions have to be before they are concidered real labor?

Last night for about 3 hours I had painful contractions that were about ever 3-5-7 minutes apart but they only lasted for about 25-30 seconds. Then after about 3 hours they went back to maybe 3 or 4 in an hour so I'm glad I didn't go into the hospital. But now I'm worried I won't know when its real labor..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• maybe that was just with my twins ^^ as 3rd and 4th child they tend to come much faster ^^ . I would ask your Dr.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I prefer about a minute.

Depending on how close you live to the hospital, traffic, and what your labor preferences are, I would follow the "4-1-1 Rule" or have them be even closer.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i was told by the gyno center i went to that it's not considered real til they're every 3 minutes apart and lasting for a full minute. i called when they were 4 min apart and lasting for over an hour and they were like "4 minutes...you're probably not in labor" and i wasn't
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• It really depends on the doctor and hospital when they want you to come in. Generally they should last a minute each and be every 5 minutes or less. It is hard because sometimes things are not consistent. So you time from the beginning of one to the beginning of the next one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:08 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• When you can time them consistantly. If you are having them 5 minutes apart consistently for about 30 min to an hour go to the hospital.

Answer by gemgem at 11:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• My hospitals guidelines is 5 minutes apart, lasting for 1 minute and you cannot talk through them. Basically, if you are able to speak on the phone to tell Labour and Delivery that you are in labour, they probably won't accept you because you can still talk through them!
    M2TandM

Answer by M2TandM at 4:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• 1-2 minutes apart, at least that's how they were for me when I was in active labor both pregnancies.

If they are 15 minutes apart like a PP said, then not you are not in labor.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• It is when they last a minute and at least 15 minutes apart. (If I remember correctly)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2011