How to make sure my dd doesn't turn into a little brat when she gets her cast off lol she is 6.

ok so she got a cast on her arm on Thursday because she broke a bone in her forarm and fractured the other bone. I haven't been asking to much from her since she only has the one arm and she is clumsy at it is and they told me to watch she don't fall things like that lol. Like I have to help her get dressed because you have to put the casted arm in first and she can't do it herself and I have to give her a bath. I have to help her pullup her pants when she goes to the bathroom because she can't do it one handed. She broke her right arm which she rights left handed, but does everything else and I mean everything else with her right hand. They only casted from her nuckles to above her elbow so she can use her fingers, but she wont even try to use her fingers. Like last night she came in my room and I asked her to shut the door after she left because the air conditioner was on and she had just an ice pack in her hand and she said she couldn't shut the door. And then a few minutes ago she told me she couldn't drink. I said why she was like cause my arm so I told her you have another arm. But it is like she acts like she can't do anything now so I am afraid she might ended up being a little brat after the fast comes off or that she isn't going to want to do anything or she is going to baby that arm. How do I keep her from becoming this way once the cast comes off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• she has to keep it iced for the first 48-72 hours so today is her last day I am having her keep it iced. Well just like a few minutes ago she asked if she can take off the ice. I said ya, but put the ice pack back in the freezer (side by side freezer) she said she couldn't open it. She didn't even try to open it either.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• It actually takes a long time to get full function back from a broken arm. My dd was around 4 when she had hers broken and it took close to a year and she wasnt being spoiled, the doctor let us know from the get go we would have to work with her more. I would just see what she is capable of doing and what she is not. And give her a break and ease up to the way things used to be.

Answer by gemgem at 11:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• A broken are is pretty traumatic I am sure for not only her but for you!! But I think you are doing the right thing by reminding her that she has another arm. Just do what you have to do to help her but the rest leave up to her. If she wants it bad enough she will get it. She will adapt as long as you stay consistent. sounds like she really likes your TLC though. Maybe find other ways of comforting her and giving her one on one time..but I would not do it all for her. :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• ~*Giggles*~... I have to say, I can relate! My youngest son is 4 and he is our "Drama King"? Which means I deal with him getting picked up because his legs are too tired to walk from the car to the house... Hahaha

Maybe try returning to "big girls" get this and that and if you can't do ___ than you can't? IDK, this is what I would do first... and if it seemed like she wasn't faking than see a doctor and see what they think?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• The injury isn't a week old yet. Using her fingers may in fact be painful for her on the broken arm. However, she does have a left hand. Do not do everything for her. I've been down this road too many times. My youngest son was the cast king. Make her at least try. You can be sympathetic without spoiling her.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• ya she is our drama queen lol. She cries over everything and I mean loud cries lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• well I know she can't get her pants up I have seen her try that and she can't get them all the way up. I also know she can't get herself dressed that is why I help with that. Shoot even when I help her she can barley get her cast through her shirt.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Put your foot down when it comes to things you know she can do, my 5 year old broke her left arm a couple months ago and she is left handed but the cast, not even the broken bone itself, slowed her down. She still wrote with her left hand and used her left arm to open doors, pick things up, etc. She was even climbing trees again after a few weeks. The only thing she really need help with was getting dressed and bathing - oh and she couldn't carry a full plate of food because the cast made it too awkward for her to carry it without dropping it. Now Obviously not every child is going to have the same reaction as my daughter but when it comes to things you know she can, or suspect she can do at least make her attempt to do it. My 6 year old kept trying to treat her little sister like an invalid because of her arm and I wouldn't let her.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 3:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2011