Has this happened to you?

Ok, so I went to an Urgent Care Clinic to have them check my ankle to make sure nothing was too terribly wrong. The doctor examined my ankle, took a "picture" (x-ray) and told me nothing was broken and to go see a podietrist if it continued to bother me. He told me that the podietrist would probably either have me wait a little longer or have me get an MRI and then kind of brushed me off like it was a total waste of his time to "see" me.

I probably won't go to the podietrist unless it gets bad, b/c he didn't seem worried, although I don't think he cared at all. So my question is, has any dr. ever blew you off? Also do you think I should ignore the doctor's lack of concern for my sprained ankle of 3months and call the podietrist even if it may just be nothing and, maybe, waste money that we don't have?

I don't like doctors!

Megan

ElijahsMom211

Asked by ElijahsMom211 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Health

• You really have to self advocate. Doctors are people just like everyone else, and just like everyone else some of them are not very good at what they do. I'd go to the specialist or at least get a second opinion somewhere.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Maybe it wasn't exactly lack of concern or interest but rather that he was tired or detached in general. Sometimes I feel that a doctor is indifferent, and it is just that my problem is so routine that they don't even try to pretend to be interested. Not a very good bedside manner, for sure. Although... do you suppose that if the doctor did act all concerned... perhaps the patient would become alarmed? I don't know.

Answer by Bmat at 9:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Go to the podiatrist. I had the same issue. My ankle wasn't broken, but the tendons and muscles were badly damaged, and because I waited so long, they healed wrong. Now I will have ankle problems for the rest of my life. My podiatrist wants to do surgery, but I don't have the time to be on crutches for 2 weeks and on a cane for another 2!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2008