What are some tips and tricks to do/have with a baby with asthma?

My five month old has asthma and I am very new to this. I want to do whatever I can to help him. I give him his breathing treatments every 2-4 hours. We just moved into my mom's house and she has two dogs and a cat. We have been keeping the animals in another part of the house. We have a humidifier next to his crib. It just breaks my heart to see him like this.

jmdupl

Asked by jmdupl at 6:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Kids' Health

• you are doing everything you can my niece was 6 months old when we found out she had. the animals might still be irritating him even tho they are in another part of the house tho
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• You are doing everything perfectly. Another tip...if you are worried about too many tratments you can also put him in the bathroom with a hot shower. That was sometimes as good as a treatment with my boys.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 7:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I'm shocked they diagnosed him so early. Are they sure that's what he has?

At this point it sounds like thats really all you can do. Try to cut down as many triggers as you can.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My son was diagnosed with asthma around that age as well. If you can, see a doctor who specializes in asthma/lung issues. Connor is also on a daily dose of Claritin. When we started him on this it really helped. Get allergy tests done as well. We found out Connor has a dust allergy as well. Connor when through bouts of needed an oral steroid as well as an inhaled one.

A few tips: keep the nebi and meds in a separate bag, that way when you need the nebi you don't have to dig for everything. Also, if you happen to be out and not have the nebi, you can't plug it in, it's not working, etc. grab some strong black coffee and give him a sip or 2 (not hot! :0) but I'm sure you knew that) of it, the caffeine in it helps open up the lungs.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my boyfriend was a bubble baby for about a year with asthma, we keep watchful eye on our son, just incase he does develop asthma, but one thing to watch out for, if you live in an older home, to bleach the walls every once in a while, because mold can grow and that is real harmful on little or big lungs, especially if you live in damp areas. We live in Oregon, and i drop our son off once in a while, to rinse the walls. I've done this once so far, because also, you want them exposed to stuff so they can get a tollerance to it... good luck!
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:25 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My daughter had the same issues. You have to bee careful that the animals are not making it worse. Fortunately my daughter out grew her asthma and is a healthey eight year old. Sounds like you are doing all you can.
    ** Animal dander can trigger an allergic reation. Make sure that people who are holding the pets are changing thier clothes before holding or taking care of the baby.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 11:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Right now he might just be having an asthma "attack" if you are giving his a treatment every 2-4 hours. Is he on prednisone? that helps. If he is having an "attack" it could last for up to 2 weeks. The animals could still be irratating him i would call the doc to see about an antihistimine that is safe for little ones. My 3 DD were given zyrtec. I hate giving benydryl it either makes them hyper or puts them to sleep. The key to asthma is to get all known allergy triggers out of the house. But that is hard when you have pets, thats why its best to get him started on an antihistimine.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 8:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2008