Leg cramps during pregnancy

I am a little over 16 weeks pregnant, and have been getting terrible leg cramps. It's not incredibly frequent, but it happens enough that it bothers me. Last night, I woke up with one that was excruciating. I tried massaging it, standing up and walking around (which usually helps), moving my foot around. Nothing helped. I finally had to just lay back down with my leg propped and ride it out. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on preventing leg cramps, or treating them when they do come on? It's almost always my right leg, which coincidentally is the one that I broke almost 3 years ago. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I plan on mentioning all of this at my next appointment, but that's not until the end of this month.

Eviesmommy

Asked by Eviesmommy at 11:19 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Health

• eat some bananas or drink some coconut water. You may be lacking in potasium.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 3:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You're doc will tell you to eat bananas or prescribe benadryl. I had severe cramps and would wake in the middle of the night in tears. what finally helped me way icy hot applied as soon as I woke. The leg cramps were so bad, I have no fat left on my legs, they are solid muscle.

BTW, benadryl is NOT recommended while preggo, so I never took it.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• and they stopped as soon as I gave birth thank god!
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:32 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Untill you go to the docs id try eating banannas and rubbing icyhot on it :) I know those leg cramps suck I got them when I was pregnant too they sucked lol hope u get to feeling better:)
    XxtoxicbeautyxX

Answer by XxtoxicbeautyxX at 11:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i would take potassium pills and get yourself some massage therapy :)
    im serious tho and also take a hot bath every night, every single night
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Thanks Cueballsmom. Even if benedryl was recommended, I HATE the way it makes me feel, so I avoid it completely. I tried muscle rub last night, it didn't even touch the pain. So frustrating.
    Eviesmommy

Comment by Eviesmommy (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Thanks, XxtoxticbeautyxX. I guess I'll be stocking up on bananas! I use a muscle rub that I find to be stronger than icy hot, but it sure didn't work last night.
    Eviesmommy

Comment by Eviesmommy (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Maybe I'll call my OB office this week and talk to my midwife about potassium pills. As far as a hot bath, if I had a tub large enough, best believe I'd be in it every night! I'm actually looking forward to vacation in a week for this reason. My MIL has a huge garden tub, so I'll be soaking before bed every night! Thanks for the suggestions, lizzybee,
    Eviesmommy

Comment by Eviesmommy (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You're getting really good advice here! use your tumbs and press in HARD and rub up and down the outside edges of the muscles in your leg, DH can help with this. Don't press the middle of the muscle cause that usually makes it hurt worse.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 1:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2011