Pretending to move

Am I nuts, id like to boxes and pack up a room, as if we'd be moving. Clean the room, toss stuff out and then put it all back.
Then, I think... oh, we should pain while everything is out.
Not so keen on the painting idea, but would like to declutter.
Would you do this? Any ideas on getting the family on board to help?
Kids ages 10 & 12

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I've done this and had the kids help in their rooms. When they don't want to help I remind them that Mommy may throw out something that is special to them and not know. That always get's them, they need to protect their stuff! lol This can backfire though too because they often want to keep everything! I then tell them that if they keep everything there won't be anyroom for thier new things they get for b-days and christmas and such. They quickly make room! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I plan to do this in about a month. We are expecting a baby in November. I need to start moving my 9 year old into his 13 year old brother's room. I am waiting to find out the gender of the baby before finalizing the paint color. I want to toss everything out to declutter.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You could put 3 boxes in each room and label them Keep, Toss, & Donate. That way the kids have a say in what they do with their stuff.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• We have moved 4 times in the last 10 years. No way in the world I would "play" move. But, if you let the kids help pick their paint colors they will probably get on board quickly.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I must be a Nut too b/c i do the same thing! LOL:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 8:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I would totally do this!!!
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 11:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Make it fun for them, reward them with a special dinner or a movie, let them help with paint colors,etc. I would do about the same thing since a room is easier to clean, declutter, and paint even when you start fresh.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Sound like a goo idea. But getting a 10 and 12 year old to help? Good luck with that. You will have to bribe them.

Answer by louise2 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i think it's a great idea. once the kids see you doing it, i think they will automatically help. kids know what's up :)
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• We've only been in this house for five years, going on six in September.
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2011