• In the Spotlight:

Did anyone try massaging their nipples to go into labor? Did it work?

I am full term and I do have the doctors permission to try some things before they induce me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Anything you try to induce labor yourself will only work if your body is actually ready to go into labor. Nipple stimulating is the only thing that I've heard comes close to working (meaning it is proven but still not accurate). Stimulating your nipples causes you to contract and may induce labor. Its only recommended under a doctors supervision but seeing as you have permission to try it, I dont see where it would hurt to try. Either you'll go into labor or you wont. Only one way to find out.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• other options for educing your own labor is too walk, or get your body moving more than you had in the previous few last weeks!
    bentley10

Answer by bentley10 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Try it! I walked so much to try and induce labor. Now I loo back and Im not sure why I was in such a rush lol
    SJSMOMMA

Answer by SJSMOMMA at 1:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I did not know that this can kick start your labor and I had my husbadn do it one night cuz my boobs hurt so bad and well I feel asleep and then 4 hours later my water broke not even diolated....he did it at a good pase for about an hour or teo, the say a breast pump can help also with your nipples
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 2:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I tried it with both boys and it didn't work. Guess they just weren't ready to come out! :)
    TXmamaTo2

Answer by TXmamaTo2 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No. :-(

Why are you inducing?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Because he said I shouldn't go any longer then a week past my due date...he wanted to induce me on my due date but we are gonna wait a little longer.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• So you are not having complications?
    This would be an elective (convenience) induction.

Do you want to make Informed Consent?
    You might like to hear more about the risks-benefits, options, alternatives, etc about induction.

Your due date is just a MID-point within the average (estimated) due period (38-42 weeks). So it would still be very normal not to deliver by your due date or even a week later. Normal is fine, normal! ;-)
    No reason to add unnecessary risks to yourself/your baby~

First-time moms don't have that mid-point, they have 41 weeks, i day, so that is even after the week after the due date.
    Keeping in mind what is Normal and the unnecessary risks, you can choose to avoid these if you like.
    This includes the harsh Pitocin-like effect of Nipple Stimulation.

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• @doulala..Thank you for your comments...Ill defiantly think more on it :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Oh, no prob, you're welcome!
    I can offer more help & info.

Health and safety are *usually* the priority and not everyone is aware how to work for this...
    I can share more, let me know...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2011