What is the easiest example to give ur child to count money?

Starting with coins... the quarter, dime, nickel and the penny.
Ages 5 and 7 years old. Thanks in advance:)

Butterfly1108

Asked by Butterfly1108 at 7:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Our curriculum starts with pennies, then groups pennies into 5 pennies, then adds groups of 5's with some extras. Next it introduces nickels, then nickels with pennies. Next dimes, dimes with pennies, dimes with nickels, and finally dimes with nickels and pennies. Last comes quarters, quarters with pennies, quarters with nickels, quarters with dimes, and finally all 4 together. They are taught to count by 1's, 5's, 10's, and 25's at the same time as the monies are introduced so that helps also. Don't forget to include 1/2 dollars as well. We don't use these much, but the concepts should still be taught - the 1/2 concept and the counting by 50 concept.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Start them off by making sure they know what each coin is worth. Once you know they know that start with counting pennies. Then start with a nickel and have them add some pennies...5, 6, 7, 8.
    Use the nickels to then teach them to count by 5,s and the dimes by tens. Give them small examples to use each day. Then start doing quarters and show how four is a dollar.

Our 5yo loves playing store with fake dollar bills I made on index cards along with his real coins. This will keep them interested in learning how to count it.
    Anonymous

• I bought some play money and after I told them what each one was worth, we set up a "play store" with their toys and some play food. I had them try to give me the amount that the toy was. They learned about money.....and it was fun.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I adapted monopoly for my son to help him learn money. We use the play money that comes with it, and then I just added coins myself. Then, when he wants to buy property, if it's, for example, $150, I tell him it's $150.45. It has helped him immensely, with learning the value of each bill and coin, and also how to make various amounts by combining them. We are beginning to work on making change, I just yesterday started him with that. I make him give me more than he needs to for whatever property he is buying, and ask him to tell me how much money I should give him back. I give him some paper and a pencil so he can figure on paper. He's adding and subtracting three digit numbers even though they're still on two digit numbers in class. He's 7 and in 2nd grade, sorry.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Monopoly junior is a great game for learning money. You can also get together some toys and "tag" them with a certain price. Give them some money and let them pay and make change for each other.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• you can try starting with pennies, and counting any and everything. for example, when you are in the store or at home count the fruit...
    ZARA81

Answer by ZARA81 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• two things: if you have a scanner, lay two of each coin on the glass, one heads up, one tails. copy them and label the drawings with the coin names and values, as a study sheet.
    quiz them daily on the names and/or values of the coins, letting them keep those they can identify correctly.

at the same time, practice skip counting by fives, tens, and twenty fives. then teach them when counting money to count all the largest denominations first, working their way down to the smallest. (although if counting quarters ends on a .25 or .75, you can teach them to add a nickel to even it up to make adding the dimes to the total easier.)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• oh, and to practice these skills once they have them, you can play "store" in their room, by putting stickies on different items. they are the storekeeper and must count the money you give them for stuff, or they can do the same playing the customer. later you can use this game of pretend to have them learn to count change back.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Continued:
    Then after they can count in cents to more than a dollar and read it as something like 148 cents you teach them that 100 cents is a dollar so you can now read that as $1.48 (one dollar and 48 cents, or 1 whole dollar and 48 cents that are only part of another dollar). By this time you should be able to let them count money regularly and begin to use small amounts at a checkout line in the dollar store or for a candy bar. Using money is certainly the most effective way to learn to count it correctly!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My DD's have a song to "Hi - Ho the Dairy-O" tune:
    A penny is one cent, a nickel is 5 cents, a Dime i-is 10-cents and a quarter twenty-five.

My DH always would take a handful of change out of his pocket and point to one. If the knew the name and how much it was worth, they got to keep it. They learned very quickly!
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 11:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2008