PLEASE PLEASE I AM IN SO MUCH PAIN RIGHT NOW

What can I use to relieve this pain and stiffness in my neck and shoulders? I have tried heating pads and a hot shower and neither seem to help. I can't even turn my neck without being in pain.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Health

• Actually, now that I think of it... isn't this from an accident you were in a year or two ago?? You really need to get back to the doc if the pain keeps coming back!! Maybe even more PT... something!! Hope you feel better soon!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I am a sports med professional, and deal with stuff like this often... I can tell you that heat can often make the pain worse!! Heat should never be used in the first 1-2 weeks of the onset of pain. Try ICE for 20 minutes, let the area NATURALLY warm up to the same temp as the rest of your skin, then ice again. DO this as often as you can!! Also ibuprofen works better the tylenol for more reasons that I care to type right now. If this continues for more then 2-3 days, if it's getting worse or if pain/tingling/numbness travels down your arm SEE A DOC!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Try ice and/or tylenol or motrin. I'll have days when I'll wake up like that and if heat isn't working for you these are the only other things that work for me.
    Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• If you know someone that can give you a massage, that usually helps me. Some chiropractors have a masseuse in their office or make an appointment at a day spa.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You need to make an appointment with a neurologist. If you had an accident, you probably are developing arthritis in your neck. Or it could be a disc problem. In the meantime, Motrin or Aleve is good. And rest a little. Don't lift anything heavy until you see a dr and rule things out.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 3:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• All of the above!
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 12:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• yes crafty I believe it is from the car accident I was in 2 years ago but it has radiated over into the other shoulder and into my neck and back also
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I am already on neurontin and it isn't touching the pain
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i was just prescribed neurontin, check it out
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2011