WTH am I going to put on my resume? I have been a SAHM for YEARS?

So my husband was laid off and he is collecting unemployment, while it is enough for us to get by, it is not enough for anything extra. So I am thinking about going back to work, which I am fine with. But I have been a SAHM for 8 years. And my work history for the few years before that was spotty, Before I had my oldest child I always had a job, but that was 12 years ago.

What in the heck do I put on my resume?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 11:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• Don't use work history. Concentrate on showing them the skills you have. Being a SAHM helps hone many skills.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Have you had any training of any kind in the past 12 years? You can put ANY volunteer work you've done over the years, that always looks good. If your degree is in demand, focus on the things you learned/implemented while in school.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Use buzz words like: "multi-tasking extraordinaire" and "able to balance multiple projects/deadlines without having attention to detail suffer" 

Honestly if you're just looking for part time work to suppliment your husband's unemployment, you'd be better off looking into a retail/server type job.  They're probably still hiring season employees, and that way you can work nights/weekends so your husband can job search during the day.  Best of luck to you guys.

MammaRed

Answer by MammaRed at 12:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I would not put a chronological resume. Title the work experience section "Relevant Work Experience" and list only items relevant to the position you're seeking. That way, any gaps in employment can be explained in person, if asked. If asked to put chronologcal (ie on an application or position that asks for 10yr work history), there is usually a separate secion giving the opportunity to explain any gaps in work history.
    bbreitha

Answer by bbreitha at 12:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• thanks for much for asking that question. I have been a stay a home mom now for 10years but have to find a job due to a divorce and I do not have any special skills at all. I guess try to use the skills you use at home like carpooler, multitaskers, nurse(LoL), laundry and cleaner person, cooker. Just go with the skills you have been using at home and I thinks that is what I will do when I fill out mine. Hang in there and good luck job hunting.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You have been a Domestic Engineer for 12 years. When I was writing my resume, I was taking a college course on business & this was one of the best tips I got.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 4:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers value! Skills such as time management, logistics, finance, management, etc. Additionally, you probably have done some great volunteer work and may have had part time or even consulting positions while you were home.
    Start with a great resume; update (or create) a Linkedin profile; let everyone you know that you are looking for a new position. How are your skills? You may want to take a couple of classes at a community college, like Microsoft office (at least Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and a basic bookkeeping class.
    There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• And the "buzz words" mentioned above, are meaningless corporate speak; stay away from them!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Focus on skills and past, pertinent jobs.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2011