Flu shot......yes or no?

When my daughter was 1 and a half she got the flu shot. A few days later she got the flu and so did I. They assured me when she got the shot that she might only have a slight fever and that was it, its not suppose to give you the flu. But she got it for 10 miserable days after the shot. I've never in my whole life gotten a flu shot or had the flu until she got the shot. That was 3 years ago and I refuse to get her the shot again every time its offered and they tell me that she should get it but its my choice. Why put her through the pain of a shot just so she can be sick and throwing up for 10 days, if she is gonna get it she'll get it without the shot. What are your opinions? Have you experienced this? Is it really that important to get the flu shot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Don't you think she might have got the flu before you got her the shot. she just did not have symptoms tell after?

Answer by louise2 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I always refuse it, both for myself and my children. I selectively vaccinate so my Pediatrician is very understanding and doesn't hassle me about it.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Me, dh and our ds never get the shot. we all have only had the flu once in almost 5 years. ds is almost 5.
    Terra24

Answer by Terra24 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Myself, my husband and my boys get it every year. The only year any of us got the flu was the one year my husband got it because he'd skipped his shot that year. It's worked well for us.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• None of us have ever gotten a flu shot. I just think it's unnecessary.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• My husband gets the shot every year because he has to have it through the military. He has horrible side effects every year too. Me nor our children ever get it and we have NEVER gotten the flu.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I've heard a lot of people say that they get sick after getting the flu shot. My brother has gotten the flu every year since he was about 3 and we shared a room until I was like 10 and he was 9. When he got it, my mom got it. Thats 2 people out of a house hold of 3 when I was growing up and never once did I get the flu. My mom gets the shot every year now because she works in a hospital and she always gets sick from it. We live in a different state than the rest of my family except for my dad, step mom and 2 sisters. My daughter is always around my sisters and they get the flu and she never gets it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• DH got the shot 1 time before we met, and he said he was sick as a dog for a week. He now refuses to ever get one again - he went through EMT training and was trying to figure out how to get out of getting the shot - didn't have to worry because he didn't pass the test - he was relieved he wouldn't have to get the shot!

I have never had a shot, and I have always refused, even though I fall into the "must get due to health problem" category. I also refuse it for my kids. This past winter we were all exposed so many times it wasn't funny - and never got it. One time in 10 years, with 4 kids, did I have the flu - none of my kids have, I got over it in a short amount of time, DH didn't get it. It went through our school twice last winter. No flu here. I have my reasons to refuse the vax, and our doc is totally okay with it. Never will we get it.
    Anonymous

• The flu only protects aganist certain strains of the flu. I refused it for my DS and he got the flu...BUT he got a type they said would not have been protected regardless of if he got the flu shot or not. So he was sick for 5 days and we all survived :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I've only ever gotten a flu shot once in my life. I used to have my kids get the flu shot, until they started mixing it with the H1N1 vacc. Now, I won't.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2011