How can I get my month old to poop?

i have tried corn syrup and its still not working.........he has not pooped today and only pooped once yesterday what should i do?

iluvmylilman601

Asked by iluvmylilman601 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he dont have to poop every day but if your really worried call his doc and ask them good luck
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• put a little karo syrup in his bottle
    karliesmom0506

Answer by karliesmom0506 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• only pooped once yesterday and not today.

sounds like everything is alright. babies dont always poop every day. but if you see that his belly is getting hard and that its bothering him that he cant poop then give him some fennel baby tea.

that always helps.. a warm bath also.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I wouldn't give him anything. If his poop isn't hard when he does poop then dont' worry. Only worry if he is straining...as they get older their systems get more advanced and they don't poop as often
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Is he breast fed? You shouldn't give him anything besides formula or breastmilk if he's only a month old. Give him another day and if you're still worried call the doc but don't give him anything else to eat.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• the problem is i don't give him anything but formula......i also tried the karo syrup and still nothing, when he pooped yesterday it was very thick and almost black in color
    iluvmylilman601

Answer by iluvmylilman601 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• If you are breastfeeding, then you might want to be sure and increase your fat intake, but only slightly and only with "good" fats, not junk calories and foods. If your baby is bottle fed, and his formula has extra iron, iron can be constipating, but if its just regular formula, then your baby might just simply not move his bowels as often. I would expect the average formula baby to have one to 3 stools a day, but I've seen plenty of little guys that eliminated every other day.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• continued...He's really young, so I wouldn't worry and I wouldn't add anything to his milk, yet. One way to help a little one eliminate is when you are changing his diaper, take Q-tip and put just a bit of vaseline on the tip and lightly go around the outside of the anus. This stimulates those muscles and usually will cause the baby to naturally move his bowels. Other than that, if he doesn't go for a couple of days, and you are concerned, give a call to his pediatrician. :)
    lifeasinoit

• breastfeed! (formula is constipating and baby's tummy cannot properly digest anything but breastmilk for the first six months, including formula)
    Anonymous

• If he is breastfed, it's normal to go up to 10 days without a bowel movement. If he's not, I'd still say it's normal to skip a day here and there, as long as the poop isn't hard, dry or pellet like. Don't give him anything without consulting a doctor. If he's formula fed, you might try a formula with a bit less iron, as iron can constipate.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2008