What is the best way for a child to memorize sight words?

Like in kindergarten the teacher has been teaching the children to learn about 15 words for 3 months and now with the holidays the teacher would like for the children to practice on remember 15 other words to get familiar with them. They already know the first 15 so that is good. But how do I keep my child interested.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• read books that have the words in them all the time or play a game that includes the words kids love games
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We did this with my SS this summer to prepare him for kindergarten - he knows all his sight words because we started early with him.

Get some of those magnetic alphabet letters (Walmart has them - get two packs) and put one word on the fridge a day for two letter words, leave em up a couple of days for three and four letter words.

Let them see the word at the beginning of the day. Spell the word and say the word, have them repeat the spelling and the word. Later in the day ask them if they remember what the word is and how to spell it, if they don't repeat it to them. If you see the word in real life somewhere point it out "look there's our word of the day!"
    Anonymous

• Once you have 5+ words make flashcards on index cards and have them practice everyday and start using the words to make small sentences on paper to have them read. (I go. You go. I see you go. - As they learn more it;ll be easier to make sentences.)

Then when you are reading them regular stories at bedtime or whatever, stop in the middle of the sentence and make them read the words you know they know.

Lots of congrats and praise are in order when they get the words right!
    Anonymous

• im going to have to try that anon maybe my son will remember more words to
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I homeschool and this is what we do: I hang a large white poster board in the dinning room where they can always see it. I add a new word everyday and we use it in a sentence. We go over all the words on the board everyday and read books with the words. My son also practices writing his words on the chalk board, dry erase board, or paper. You can also have him use www.starfall.com. It's a great site with lots of beginning reading games for kids.

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• wow, my son learned 10 words a week including 3 poems to learn the alphabet--in kinder. i would try using flashcards or an easel.
    ZARA81

Answer by ZARA81 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My 5 year old daughter, in Kindergarten, has hand made flash cards that she has to practice every night for homework, and she gets 2-6 new words a week. They practice them at school, and are supposed to practice them at home, too, though few do. Since they bring them home, she has to practice them through the holiday vacation, too, (my choice to keep her sharp). I won't add words, but I will have her practice them, as well as her reading, since she needs more confidence in her reading abilities.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 9:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Im guessing it is the sight words that she is asking they learn, Post-it actually makes little stickys with these words on them already, i bought a pack and put them all over the house, we were also given poems and songs with those words in them to read each night. we made up storys using the words.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Write the words on little cardstock papers and attach them to objects around the home where they will be seen regularly. For words that don't name objects - or that you don't have the object - make a list and go over those a few times a day. The only way to really learn these is to see them and use them regularly. Check at the library for books that use words you're working on and let your child read the sight words when you come upon them. It's always more fun to read words you know in a book than anywhere you "always" see them.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• when your child gets the sight word right then ask him/her to make up the silliest sentence using that word for something fun...then you make one up to interact with them...they love your attention best.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2008