Resume: Got fired from a job but....

all my experience comes from that particular job. I know it is a no no to put jobs you were fired from on your resume but how do I include those skills (cause I belive those are the best ones I have) without mentioning the job? This particular job ended on 04.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 12:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• Since you were fired for something related to your medical condition I would put it on the resume and if an employer ask just tell them that you were sick and came back to work to early and couldn't perform your job duties so they let you go. Reassure them that you are completely healed and able to perform the job you are applying for.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I think it would all depend on why you get fired from that job. If it was something silly or not a major issue or even a personality clash I would consider putting it down. But if you did something really bad I def. wouldn't put it on there.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• This is a tricky question. Leaving out a job these days can backfire depending on who you are applying with. Larger companies and even some smaller companies can easily find out who you worked for and when. If you've been working since, I would go ahead and put the job down....it's been about seven years since you left there. If you haven't had any problems at your jobs since then, it probably won't matter.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Actually you ARE supposed to put all jobs on your resume, but you can't be snippy about why you were fired - you're supposed to put something along the lines of you were let go for health reasons (since that was their reason for you). Don't skip putting a job on, especially if that is where you got all the job skills, otherwise other places you apply to will wonder how the heck you could possibly have those skills. They need to know that you held a similar job before.
    Anonymous

• yeah it was dumb on my part...I was suffering from clinical depression and the clinician told me to go back to work but I was in NO way shape or form fit to go back and went to another state to seek treatment (I never went back to work) now I realized I should ahve told my employer I just can not come back instead of just leaving but I was not in the right state of mind to think of all that. yes I have worked a few place since then...even at one company since 06!
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I would include it on my resume and use someone from the company that you know will give you a good reference.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Mention the job, and not the name of the company (it will appear to the reader of your resume that you are currently employed). During an interview, you can explain that you were downsized. Hopefully, you have a couple of co-workers at that company you can stay in touch with, and use as references.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2011