they found extra fluid in my baby brain has it happened to anyone i am still pregnant

DeboraDC

Asked by DeboraDC at 7:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My four year old step son did have that. His mom had many many ultrasounds to get a diagnosis prior to birth. When he was born there were no complications, he seemed to be a healthy baby boy.

He is now a four year old autistic but healthy and strong boy. His autism is linked to the fluid he had on the brain but he is highly functional and is outgrowing it.

girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 7:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• People at my IL's church went through so much testing and consultation from different doctors and the child is right as rain. What can they do about the fluid on the brain?? All they can do is keep their eye on it, but essentially nothing until the baby is born! To me, there is no point in them needlessly making you worry about it when the child could grow out of it, and when there is NOTHING they can do while the child is in gestation period.
    Anonymous

• My friends son had that...they called it hydrocephalus...after birth a stint was implanted to help the fluid drain properly down the spinal cord. They didn't think he would live let alone walk or do anything functional. Anyway, he is about 3 yrs old now and developmentally fine...except he was diagnosed with a rare form of dwarfism...he is extremely small.
    Anonymous

• I had that with my first baby. Choroid Plexus Cyst. We were scared and they wanted me to have an amnio and I said no because I knew there was a risk of losing the baby. I don't want to scare you like they did me. I was scared till he was born and he is fine. There wasn't anything wrong with him like they said. Even if there was I was still going to continue with my pregnancy and let GOD take care of the rest. They will probably do more ultrasounds to keep checking. If you want to know more just message me.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• They thought my baby had that when I was 24 weeks pregnant and then a second ultrasound 4 weeks later showed that everything was fine. I was sad that anything would be wrong with my baby, I mean you always hope for a perfectly healthy baby. Their situation is an extreme for water in the brain though, most are much much better! But my husband and I spent a little time mentally preparing ourselves for the possibilities of a wide spectrum of consequences and the possibility of brain damage. It would have been different, but God won't give you anything you can't handle and you'd be surprised at how well you can handle even the most difficult of situations. Keep in mind that it could be a false diagnosis or be very mild.
    .Amanda.Dawn.

Answer by .Amanda.Dawn. at 6:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2008