BBQ opinions ladies?

We were invited to a BBQ today. Initially DH said they wanted me to bring chips or mac salad. I said no to the chips, because that's what we were told to bring last year and when we got there, we were the first to arrive and the host (who asked us to bring chips) already had a bunch of chips out, and a bunch of other people brought chips as well. I was all set to make mac salad but last night DH said, we can't bring chips someone else is bringing them, and I'm like, what the heck?

So now, DH thinks I should bring homemade mac and cheese. I don't know if people will really want to eat something so "heavy" and a hot side on a day like today.

I was thinking of bringing a platter of cherries and pineapple because those are the fruits on sale and I doubt ANYone will bring that combination.

What do you guys think? The hot homemade mac and cheese? The cherries and pineapple? Or something else entirely (give me ideas!)?

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Ah, makes sense then OP! Yeah, I'd go with the fruit, then!
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 12:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Def. the fruit, yum!
    Anonymous

• I really like the fruit idea. I never think of fruit at bbqs. It will be refreshing in this heat too. :)
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Realistically I would call and ask whoever is hosting it. I wouldn't want a ton of leftovers. Maybe merkin bringing fresh fruit and see if anyone else was bringing it....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I was leaning toward fruit salad.

Answer by louise2 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I'm confused, what's stopping you from making the macaroni salad? I'd stick with your original plan, since you weren't ever planning on bringing chips in the first place! Though fresh fruit is always tasty, especially in combination with bbq food.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 12:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Macaroni salad== noddles cooked, mayo, mustard, onions, pickles, boiled eggs. Tastes better refrigerated over night. But not necessary.

Answer by louise2 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• and fruit dip
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I've never made mac salad before...and I don't even like the stuff! Besides, the recipe I had was supposed to have me have it sit overnight. I only have an hour between making it and bringing it now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Hey ladies! There were about 8 bags of chips, already a bowl of fruit salad, a bowl of pasta salad, and some other snack things (like nuts and pretzels) when we got there, so my fruit was unique and fit in well. I saw lots of people reaching for it so it was a great idea! Thanks to you all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2011