I Don't Want To adult content

My husband tells me he wants me to, but I'm completely uncomfortable with the idea. Sure, I know people do it every day, but it just isn't appealing to me. I'm pretty darn open about just about everything else in the world, why can't he just let this go?

What is it that I don't want to do?

Why, put on a bathing suit, of course!

I hate everything to do with swimming. Bathing suits, body hair maintenance, getting my hair wet, sunscreen, cellulite exposure, everything. Plus, the hour when my husband takes the kids to the pool is like my only time to myself. My husband and kids tease me about this, they want me to come swimming with them. And I make excuses like "I think they outlawed whaling" and "I don't think my suit fits me since I had the baby". And they're all sad-faced and disappointed in my general direction. I do everything else in the world they all want me to do, is it really so awful that I don't want to do this one thing?

Fistandantalus

Asked by Fistandantalus at 12:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• No, my mom never would swim with us. I didn't grow up and hate her for it. She wears glasses- can't see without them- and can't stand to have someone splash and get them wet. I always understood. She did come to the pool and watch us though.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 12:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I love swimming, it's the dreaded walk to the poolside after removin my clothes that I hate!! I want one of those old school suits that have sleeves and come to your knees! I will say it's for protection from the sun! haha I don't like to go to the pool or beach, I only go once or twice a year, tops.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Nope, every momma needs a bit of time to themselves. The kids and daddy should continue to use this time to bond.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 12:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• My DH won't go in the water either. It frustrates me because I want quality fun time with him. At the same time, I love him and respect that he doesn't want to go.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• haha..i love that you flagged this. LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I understand how you feel. I think that they're not asking you to do this as a responsibility but because they want to spend time with you and want you involved in their activities. Imagine if one day something happened to any of them... would you regret not getting over your insecurity to spend more time with them? I think you should work on a "who the hell cares" attitude. Don't worry about other people think. You need to change your thinking to "I'm fabulous no matter what I look like." It's your personality that draws people in and a person with a great personality will win over looks any day. If you're worried about other ppl putting you down, then you should think that they may be jealous because you have a wonderful family that loves you. Focus on what you have.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No, nothing wrong with not wanting to expose yourself in public lol or with wanting some time to yourself but it sounds like it's hurting your family, why don't you just throw on a pair of shorts & t-shirt and go along sometime? I've done that, no one else at the pool matters, it's about spending fun time with your family.
    Anonymous

• Personally, I love to swim and love using it as a way to spend time with my kids. But if you spend quality time with them in other situations, I really don't see why it's a big deal.

Although...if they look all disppointed and all, maybe you could make an exception every now and then and go? It would stop their disappointment and I bet they'd be so excited. :) Just a thought.

Seriously, though, I see nothing wrong with you using the time as your "me" time. Everyone needs some of that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Enjoy your alone time.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i'm lucky. i'm a total fish and so is my husband. the kids follow suit.
    MsSelfDestruct

Answer by MsSelfDestruct at 1:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2011