Military Retirement on Chopping Block?

Once again, the military retirement system is coming under the scrutiny of budgeters and deficit reduction task forces. This time the assault comes from various fronts – from outgoing Secretary of Defense Robert Gates and incoming Secretary Leon Panetta to Vice President Joe Biden.

Earlier this year Gates stated, “Everything is on the table” for budget cuts. Panetta used the same line during his recent nomination hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee, urging more significant, program-specific changes rather than an across-the-board, salami-slice budget cutting approach.

Tasked by President Obama with finding over $400 billion dollars in savings over the next 10-12 years , Gates has become a bit more specific on where some of the savings may be achieved – specifically the military retirement system.

Gates has criticized the “one-size-fits-all” 20-year retirement structure and has directed the Defense Science Board to establish a working group to develop alternative options.

I think that with all of those who stick it out for 20 plus years deserve to get there retirement. There is no job like the job of a military man or woman has and the sacrifices that come with it.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2740909/posts

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 12:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely not Sister. They should be paid ~ at the same rate as every other trainee/E1 equivalent.

But, all civvie jobs, straight across the board should be cut to the equivalent of what the military pays (keep in mind that every new recruit would be enlisted, not officer). Vacations, off time, sick leave, etc. should be handled just the same as the military does. All civilian housing should be restricted to the same rules as base housing (including yard upkeep, painting, cleaning, inspections, etc.). People should have to stop their vehicles and stand at attention for the raising and lowering of the flag each day.

Keep in mind that MOST of our homeless vets (which really is sick after seeing the HUD housing in VA!), ALL of our vets actually, have already been screwed out of what they were promised as far as retirement. They did the time, it's congress that lied (still lies, and is still blowing money). cont.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I don't like when they start making budget cuts for our military men and women. They do deserve their retirement plan. The government wants to trim the fat on the budget. They should start with their salaries and all of the perks that come with the position that they hold.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• well im totally against the "waiting till 57-60" to get there retirement. in my dad served 22 years and retired at 46 and there are lots of other men & women out there who have & will do the same. 20 years in the military is equal to 30-40 years at a civilian job imo...even in peace time its a VERY demanding & stressful job.

if the govt is really so concerned w/ making budget cuts & trimming retirements they should look at their own first! they make a ridiculous amount of money compared to the amount of work they do & most times they dont do jack. the FFs never meant for those positions to be careers.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I am from both sides of the fence, and I believe that everything should be equal for both the military and the civilian. ~ BlueSaphire

Really? I could agree to that. Get those civvies out there on the front lines, regardless of weather, homelife, babies being born, grandparents dying, being sick, and keep them up for days of getting shot at or tiptoeing through ieds, then send them back to eat MRE's and sleep in a tent with the bugs, snakes, etc. Let them call home once a month IF they aren't out on patrol somewhere. Cut their pay down to what the military pays, and let them deal with Tricare (and all the docs that won't accept it) ... and being told that 800mg of Motrin fixes everything. Let all those civvie spouses and children wonder when/if mom/dad is coming home, deal with new schools every few years, and being told where they will live, when they may take a vacation (and see it doomed thanks to orders). cont.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• cont. ~ I'm all for cutting out the waste, the fraud (and hefty prison time for companies involved in fraud), and the indifference to waste that IS a part of military spending.

Soldiers' salaries, retirement, etc. aren't a part of that. Some things (issuing uniforms that won't be used, etc. are). They more than earn their pay, and the ones who don't are tossed without benefits.

But, if a skank like Weiner will claim and spend HIS retirement, they have NO excuse to mess with the soldiers. Where they need to concentrate is management, contracts (ALL of the civvie contracts should be combed through), and travel that is done by politicians using the military transport ... for starters. Add in those 'must spend or lose' budgets and a lot more than $400 billion would be cleared up (and they could upgrade veterans' care without going over budget as well).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• The "more reliable source" lacks a lot of info......
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 12:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Here we go again. Cut every budget but the one that affects me. Sorry, I'm sure there is fat in the military budget that could be cut. Do not ask others to do what do what you will not. The cuts will affect everyone.

I agree sapphire.

FL- sounds like a good plan. Would these be community service positions? As in unpaid?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• what makes your source more reliable???? just because you say so????
    mrssundin

Comment by mrssundin (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I am from both sides of the fence, and I believe that everything should be equal for both the military and the civilian. I believe that civilians are heroes too. There should not be any preferences of one over the other. Civilians have always been our financial backbone and the source of our enterprise and ingenuity, and deserve to have a boost to their esteems for the sake of our country's financial future. It's this "I deserve" attitude that needs to be kicked. It's what got our country in a mess to begin with.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 12:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• cont. ~ I've long felt that every child that graduates HS and is physically fit needs boot camp and two years of service (non-combat if they aren't suited), before they wander off to college or lounging around mooching off their parents for the next 20 years. I think it would do EVERY child a world of good to know what our flag really stands for and be taught to respect it. By all means get the civvies on an equal footing to our military members ... especially those union thugs. That bunch definitely needs to learn all about actually working for their paycheck.

OP, from what I understand, they are looking to privatize part of it and it won't affect current retirees. Of course, with the sad sacka sitting in the oval office right now, it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to dump our vets under a fleet of buses rather than upgrade their care or even maintain the status quo.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2011