• In the Spotlight:

Do you think its unusual for a husband and wife to not sleep together?

My husband and I don't sleep together. We haven't since before my son was born (he's 7)-- he snores so loudly and stays up waaaayyy too late for me.... I refuse to have a tv in the bedroom... our sex life is pretty much on the glitch as well.... can you have a healthy happy marriage and not sleep together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Relationships

• My grandparents stopped sleeping in the same room 30 years into their marriage and they were married for another 30 years until my Gam passed away last year.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Yes unless there are reasons such as work or bed rest when you can't have any movement
    marcymoyar

Answer by marcymoyar at 7:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Of course you can have a happy marriage even though you dont sleep together. but its hard work. A friend of my mother told me about it. They had seperated bedrooms because he was snorring really bad and she couldnt get any sleep. But whenever they felt the need to have sex they just went to bed together... after the sex and when they felt tired enough they went to their own beds .

it can work, but its probably not easy.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my parent's haven't really slept together in years. mostly because they both fall asleep to different things on tv, or one can't seem to sleep in bed (hurts their back, etc) but they have a very good relationship. Still have a sex life, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My husband and dog both snore like marching band! My solution is I sleep at the bottom of the bed. My husband and dog sleep at the top and my head is at the bottom. This does help because I'm not right next to the clatter but even sometimes I resort to the sofa. I don't go to the spare bedroom because it would hurt his feelings (my husband, not the dog).
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 7:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• lol...I can definitely appreciate your need to sleep away from your husband. We co-sleep and I'm a horrible insomniac. I'm sure half my problem is being wedged between a snoring man and a wiggly child. I would be more concerned about the lack of sex. I don't think it has much to do with whether or not you sleep in the same bed though...I think that would just make sex more convenient. Being that we co-sleep, my SO and I never have sex in the bedroom...it is elsewhere after our daughter goes to bed.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Has he ever tried those breath right nasal strips? Or done anything to help stop the snoring?
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 7:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• The only time I have not slept with my husband was during the last months of my pregnancy. I was not comfortable anywhere but the couch. We actually kinda slept together anyway because he slept on the floor beside me (he said he cant sleep without me, lol)
    I think it is improtant to have a healthy sex life, so sleeping together is better for that.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think its really sad to not sleep together. Right now my husband is on the couch and I miss him so much!!!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• yes you can have a great married life without sleeping in the same bed/room with your spouse. I actually preferred it. We got along a lot better when we did. It was when he insisted we start sleeping together again that things got ugly and I finally left. He should have kept us in our own rooms. Life was good then.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2008