What are some great ideas for snacks for my toddlers?

They like different things which makes it more difficult. I want to offer some healthy options too, they are 14months old.

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I love granola, but my son has nut allergies so it is hard to find any he can have. I began making my own "trail mix". I use a few different cereals, usually one of them is slightly sweet, dried fruit like blueberries and cranberries and dried bananas, goldfish, and anything else that is bite sized. I mix it all up in a bowl, then i put it into several different ziplock bags and i have a quick snack at any time or for on the go. He loved this.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 7:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• do they like celery or carrots? my dad used to put those on a tray with ranch dressing to dip in and we LOVED it.
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 7:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• bananas, oranges, peach, cucumber.. our daughter loves all that healthy stuff... right now she is all crazy about bananas. if she doesnt get at least 1 banana/day she is getting mad. haha

try whatever you think they are able to chew. if they cant really chew it yet, just throw it in the blender.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Remember that little Ones won't eat unless they are hungry. So if snacks fill your little guy up between meals, then he won't eat the good food that you offer at meal time. When choosing foods (and snacks) remember that unless he has a full set of back molars that he doesn't have anything but gums to grind and chew solids, so choices like raw veggies, while are excellent for big kids, little ones can't grind these up sufficiently for the tummy to accept.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• continued...The stomach simply cannot grind up chunks (that was the teeth's job), so the stomach will churn and work harder (often with discomfort to the child) then ship the bulk to the colon. The colon's job is to absorb the good food but if there is chunks that didn't break down, then the colon sends it on out (into the diaper) and the body ends up not benefiting from the good food. So best to keep a baby without a full set of back molars to pureed and mashed foods. :) That pretty much leaves zwieback and teething cookies that melt in the baby's mouth. :)
    lifeasinoit

• i keep helthy snacks around, apples, rasins. crackers and cheese, fruit. meats.
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 8:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2008