My parents are divorcing. Question about attending.

Before I continue with my question I would like you to know I am not going to the divorce court hearing. Please continue reading.

I was contacted by one of my parents who gave me information on the date and time of the divorce court hearing in case I wanted to go.

My question is: Would YOU go to your parents divorce hearing?

SarahFarah

Asked by SarahFarah at 12:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• My mother asked me to go with her to support her when my parents were divorced. My father took his new and much younger girlfriend. I didn't want to go, but felt obligated.

It was a horrible experience. I wish I hadn't been there.

I don't think parents should ask their adult kids to be there. I was 23 then, now I'm 49. My own kids are grown. I look back and think that yes my mother needed support, but I was the wrong person to ask. She should have asked one of her sisters or a friend. I would never put my own children in that position. (I hope not to be getting divorced in the future).

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Honestly I think it depends on the situation... If it's something your father is abusive or a drunk or whatever and your mom is just trying to escape, then I would go to support your mom. But it's not like that extreme or anything just stay netural and don't go.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Nope. I would not go.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No. Sounds like they want you there to be called to the stand just in case. Id stay away.

Answer by gemgem at 12:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Where I live, you wouldn't even be allowed in there anyway, since you have nothing to contribute.

I wouldn't go. If my parents were to divorce, I wouldn't want to be there for all the nasty stuff.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I would only go if my mom asked me to. Growing up my mom was like my best friend (which is funny because now my older daughter and I have the same relationship). If she needed me there for support I wouldn't hesitate to go, otherwise I would stear clear.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Ugh, no. I'd say thanks for the info, but I would have no desire to go.
    Anonymous

• No I wouldn't. Their divorcing wouldn't have anything to do with me.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I definitely would not go.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 1:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No way
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2011