How can I get my 6 year old daughter to stop lying?

I have tried rewards for not lying, dicipline for lying and this just isnt working.... HELP

megan732

Asked by megan732 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am sorry but I need help here too!!! thanks for adding this question.....GOOD LUCK !
    JLCCC

Answer by JLCCC at 1:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We have had this issue more then once......
    One thing is make sure you say if you tell the truth your consequences will be better then if you lie. Also we make our 7 year old write sentances....for lieing it would be I WILL NOT LIE over and over again maybe 10 times for the first lie with every lie increase it by 5. Pretty soon they will be writing great and will also think twice about lieing!
    Chris127

Answer by Chris127 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Mom always used the soap in the mouth trick...It must have worked too....this is one of my biggest pet peeves!! I tell my kids if ya lie, you will get in worse trouble for the lie than what you had done wrong. I think it is a phase that some kids go through. I have actually read that kids who lie in their early childhoods have a higher IQ than those who do not. As it involves analytical thinking. I say nip it in the bud whether they are smart or not!! LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 1:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Since we have a chirstian houshold, I tell her what the bible says about lying and that it hurts Jesus' feelings when you lie. Also, I tell her I will never punish her for telling the truth, but I may punish her for her lying.
    metalmomma25

Answer by metalmomma25 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I have an issue with the soap in the mouth thing...I used to do it BUT I heard they can actually asperate and die!
    Chris127

Answer by Chris127 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We went through the lying stage with my oldest son when he was about 4 years old. We are Christians as well so we taught him what the Bible says about lying and how God doesn't like it when we lie. He got a spanking whenever he told a lie as well and he finally understand the consequences of lying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2008