Obama Says He Doesn’t Have to Answer Whether War Powers Resolution Is Constitutional

Washington (CNSNews.com) – President Barack Obama told reporters he does not have to answer the question of whether the War Powers Resolution is constitutional.

“There may be a time in which there was a serious question as to whether the War Powers Resolution was constitutional. I don’t have to get to the question,” Obama said during a White House news conference Wednesday.

“We have engaged in a limited operation to help a lot of people against one of the worst tyrants in the world, somebody who nobody should want to defend. And we should be sending out a unified message to this guy that he should step down and give his people a fair chance to live their lives,” Obama added.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-says-he-doesn-t-have-answer-whethe

Thoughts on this???

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 1:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• So what's new? He and his Admin. consistently, ignore the Constitution...

I'm no authority but imo, his going around the Constitution this time, especially, should be an impeachable offense; if Bush had done any of the crap that this Admin has done, he would have been impeached. Granted, Bush was no saint, I have my issues with him but I never once felt that his admin. was anti-Everything, this country stands for...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• My only thought is actually wondering how this would be taken if it were Bush making the decision. I mean, he had congressional approval for his wars, yet he is a war monger. Obama doesn't have congressional approval and nary a word from his staunch supporters about it. Very telling indeed.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• We are there helping people by killing them? How is that helping?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• That statement sounds extremely arrogant, especially from one who is supposed to be a constitutional lawyer.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 4:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Sounds like O...very arrogant and wants to be king
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Incompetent and narcissistic and attracts like-minded people in to his administration...and perhaps a swooning mob of followers.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 9:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Did his lawyers tell him to say that?.... Is my first thought.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 7:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Obama has ignored the constitution and the law many times before. Why would now be any different.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I have two thoughts on it. First in sense I agree with him. It's not up to him to decide what is constitutional and what is not. Ultimately that responsibility falls on the Supreme Court. On the other hand, if he truly believes our mission in Libya is just and he has ample reasons for it why not lay it out to congress? It makes no sense to me.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• The same both guys are war mongers!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2011