Share your birth story!

DD was our little "suprise". I was still in college when I got pregnant. I was working in a group home, working swing shifts, only getting like 5 hours off between shifts, working 60 hrs or so a week. My boss HATED me and would not change my schedule. So I had to offically give up my full time spot and go part time because at 28 weeks I started going into labor. I was on this awful medicine that made me shake like crazy, I could not focus or anything. I only took the medicine when I could not make the contractions stop. As soon as I hit 37 weeks I flushed all of that horrible medicine down the toillet. I don't even remember how many times I ahd to go to the ER to stop labor. My due date was Christmas Eve. On the 16th I started having contractions. They weren't strong, but htey hurt (it was back labor). My sister was visiting and I went about things like normal and didn't mention the contractions to anyone. I really didn't htink it was labor because I had been doing it soo much. They stayed 10 min apart for 22 hours then stopped. My sister left on the 17th around 10 pm. I was supposed to have an appt with my midwife that day, but someone else went into labor and she had to cancel. So at 11pm on the 17th I went to bed, frustrated that the contractions had stopped again. I woke up at exactly 1am with a contraction so hard I sat straight up in bed. I laid in bed and timed them for about an hour before I woke up dh. I was still having pure back labor and I was miserable. Dh and I timed them for about 2 more hours and when they got 4 min decied to call the midwife. I talked with her on the phone for over 40 min and during this tiem I started vomitting and getting the runs. she said she would meet me at the birthing center at 6am (she lived about an hour away). So in between vomitting I took a shower and got our things together and called my parents. When I got to the midwive's office I was still vommitting and had really bad diarrhea (one of the perks of labor no one tells you about!). I was in the bathroom every time I had a contraction. By the time I got settled and cleaned up it was after 7am. She checked me and I was 7cm! We had no idea I was that close. The contractions were still about 4 min apart. And I was still havign back labor. I was laying in bed being miserable while the midwife was filling up the tub. But something was wrong with teh tub and dh got it fixed. I got in the tub a little after 8am. But when then tub was messing up they drained the hot water heater trying to fill it up. So the birthing assisant was boiling water and pouring it in the tub with me to try to get it up to 100 degrees before the baby was born. My MIL showed up with my bestfriend (my parents lived 5 hrs away and were on their way). The midwife decided that since I had been so sick I needed to eat and sent my MIL to the store for yogurt. As soon as she left I felt the urge to push. Dh called her and told her to come back ASAP. So here I am, having back labor, butt naked in a giant bathtub curled up in ball. being in ball on my side was the only positon I could stand to be in at the time. So when I wasn't pushing or having contractions, I was curled up. There was a shift change with midwives, so I had two midwives, a birthing assistant, Dh, MIL, my firned and an intern in the room. DD finally decided to turn right side up right before I started pushing. In between contractions and pushing my MIL is force feeding me bites of yogurt and trying to get me to drink gatorade. Looking back now I think it's pretty funny, but at the time I was not amused at all. None of us know for sure exactly how long I pushed for, but we figured it was about an hour and half. Sometime between 9:30 and 10:00 dd was born. My parents showed up about 15 min after she was born. I got to sit in the tub and hold dd for about 20 min after she was born while we waited for the placenta to deliver. Then they gave her to dh and weighed her and all that while I got cleaned up and had a few stitches. I spent the first three hours of her life just laying in a bed with her naked little butt on my chest. It was wonderful. It went home around 1 that afternoon. My birth was not perfect, and it did not turn extacly how I wanted it (I didn't want anyone but the midwife in the room, but at the time it was happening I just didn't care). But I could not have asked for anything better!

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I spent most of my time a home i woke up at 1:00 am and stayed at home with only my mom until 4:00 pm and then i had to go than as soon as i got to the hospital and got some meds i fell asleep an like at 5:40 or so i woke up just as my hb got there and the nurses were getting me ready i gave birth to my daughter at 6:23 pm im happy that i had no problems but im hoping to do it natural next time the meds thay gave me were go strong that if it werent for my hb telling me to push and holding my hand through it i could have sleep through it.LOL !
    esmay098

Answer by esmay098 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Which one? The first kid shot out of me like a bullet from a gun, I didn't even know I was in labor until my water broke, and by the time we got to the ER I went ahead and had him in the parking lot. Nigel was 8lb, 9oz. The second kid didn't want to be evicted from the condo so I was induced at 42 weeks and had her in 12 hours. MaryJane was 10lb, 6oz. With the third kid, my water broke during my favorite cop show, we dropped the other kids off with Grandma and went to the hospital, where I basically gave birth as they got me checked in and assessed, it took about four hours. Calliope Marvel was 10lb, 9oz. No epidurals with any of them, all vaginal births.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Mine was uneventfull. Went to the hospital pregnant, got my epidural, and waddled out with a baby :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I had a scheduled c section for 7 am on may 15. On the morning of May 14, I started having slight contractions, but I didnt think it was happening, but by 3 am they were pretty painful. I got to the hospital around 330, they put an epidural in,, and we waited for 7 am. I was wheeled into the OR and handed an ipod, to choose some music. I chose some classical. My SO and his mom came in, they have me the anesthesia, and about 20 min later, DD was born. They cleaned her up, right there next to me, and i was able to hold her while they finished, for about 4 minutes. Then they took her to get bathed, and her dad went with her. They gave me some morphine, and i was in lala land the rest of the surgery, about 20 min. But as soon as they were done, I woke right up, and nursed her. She never left my side after that. And my recovery was a breeze. Left the hospital a day early.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Both my labours were uneventful.  I was in labour 8 hours the first time and 4.5 hours the second time.  Both my girls were born in England.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• well with my third child i came home from work went and took a bath and starting going into labor, well we left to drop thwe kids off at mom in laws house 20 mins away and when iwe got there my husband had to call 911 cause and the ambulance came and in 5 minutes i had aiden and i was taken to a hospital that hadnt had babies there in 3 years. it was definitly exciting.

my 4th child came 10 wekks early and when i got to the hospital they checked her heart rate and it was 67, i was rushed in for an emergancy c-section. it only took 18 mins from the time i stepped foot in the hospital to having her. she was then resesitated to bring her back and she spent the next 6 weks in the nicu and weighed 3lbs 12oz at birth and had a grade 4 bleed on the brain, 4 spinal taps, on a feeding tube and was on heart monitor that she came home with. they broke her shoulder when pulling her out. she was a miracle baby
    angeleyz375

Answer by angeleyz375 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I lost my mucus plug one evening 3 days before my due date and was super excited about that. I went to bed but kept waking up w/contractions and finally at midnight started timing them.... 4 minutes apart. I called my midwife and she was a bitch and said I was welcome to get checked if I thought I was in labor but she wasnt due in until 10am the next morning so it was up to me....not knowing what to do as this was my only child I sat there with my fiancee thinking about what to do. We took showers and more mucosy stuff was coming out and ending up everywhere and grossing him out....super funny.... so we went to the hospital around 2am. I got there at the same time one other pregnant woman was there and since she was in there minutes before me she got the experienced nurse....I got the first night on her own still in training nurse meaning anything she did to me like check my dialation.... another nurse would have to check
    mitchellb

Answer by mitchellb at 11:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Sorry had to continue....
    Anyway another nurse would have to check everything my training nurse did which meant double finger exams! I was only 2 cm dialated and they didnt know if they were going to keep me because of that BUT my contractions were 3 mins apart. Finally around 10am we called our families to come. my gram walks in w/a pumpkin as a gift and loudly announces " yeah it went in a lot better than its coming out huh." My sister is farting the entire time and laughing and when the nurse looked at her my sister said "what was i not supposed to do that" our town had a boil water notice in effect meaning I couldnt use the birthing tub, I had one nurse who came in like every 10 minutes to watch my tv (my hospital has a horrible reputation) Due to the boil water notice I wasnt allowed to shower so one nurse gave me a bath using wipes and she wiped me back to front and then front to back with the same wipe and......
    mitchellb

Answer by mitchellb at 11:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• continued again....

41 hours and 2 epidurals later my son was born via c-section for failure to progress.
    mitchellb

• Wow Mitchellb!! I think I would have left and just went home lol. I'm sure if you weren't such a horrible situation in an awful hospital you probably would have been relaxed enough to procede naturally! I hope next time you choose you a different hospital.
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2011