Whats wrong with using public assistance if you need it?

I am not talking about the ppl that get on and take advantage and use the system.
If something horrible happens to your financiallly why not use PA to get yourself on your feet?
The reason why I am posting this is because I see alot of post about PA and it seems like ppl are to prideful to use it if they need to. And I also see alot of post judging and being critical to ppl who uses it. They put everyone in the same boat.
Yeah I get its tax money blah blah blah. But it's there to help
I use to recieve food stamps, and TANF because I was going through hard times and my babies meant more to me than what anyone thought about me using it. God I hated it. But I did what I had to do.Financially, my family is doing great. But if Lord forbid something ever happen to me financially and i need the help than I will use it. It's just something to help temporarily. It always get better.

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 2:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• Nothing - it's when you don't need it that it's wrong to use it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I agree. I ended up losing my job while I was pregnant. And even though I have a college degree I could not find a job. Ended up working at a pizza place making about 150 a week. Dh was working making min wage too. We needed help and we used the help we could get. Now we are very stable money-wise. I just look back on those days and I am so thankful that we were able toget the help we did. I do now know what we would have done with out it.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I was too proud to get FS until last summer when my oldest daugher lost over 5 lbs because we never had food in the house. My kids are far more important to me than my stupid pride. Things are getting better for us, and we will probably not get FS for much longer because we won't qualify anymore. But you do what you have to do to keep your kids healthy and take care of them properly.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• anime mom....oh man sorry to hear about your daughter, I think ppl have pride because they worry about ppl looking down on them. I mean look at some of the post that be on here. i was the same way. But I look at it like It's not about me.
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with it
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 2:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• When I was younger, I always thought that it was something to be looked down upon, because that's what I'd always seen. But now that I am pregnant, I have both Medicaid and WiC because I know it's important for my child to be well taken care of. When you grown up and realize that some things are more important than pride and other's opinions, it makes a lot of difference in your life. I am now to the point that if it comes down to it and I'm unable to find a better job after I have my baby, I will get on food stamps if need be, although I still have a little of that fear of what others will think. It's not their lives, and if they were in your shoes, they'd probably suck it up and do the same thing.
    AngelBaby90

Answer by AngelBaby90 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Thank you kyheavensmom, she gained weight back and then some after we got FS. She was 15 going on 16 last summer and was only 94 lbs at 5'5". She's always been on the thin side, but healthy. I was like, "something's gotta give here" and applied for FS. We don't get the full amount a family of 6 would normally get because dh and I both work, but it's enough to help us eat well and stay healthy. I still worry about what people think when I use my FS card, so I kind of try to cover it up and swipe it really fast when I'm at the store. It shouldn't have to be that way, but people can be rude to those on PA.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• yea I understand. I use to do the same...hide my card. Ppl see that you have an ebt card and automaticatly ASSume that you're trash or taking advantage of the system when alot of times alot of ppl aren't sometimes ppl who never been in a situation to need it they judge. Not realizing that it could be them at anytime time.
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Nothing but I have yet to meet one person who uses it that actually NEEDS it!
    Anonymous

• There is nothing wrong with using it if you NEED it. It's the people who milk the system and use it as a lifestyle rather than it's purpose of temporary aid that have created the bad stigma surrounding PA. I went to college with a lady who had to use it when her husband walked out. I never thought anything bad about her because she didn't act like it was owed to her. I hope I don't but I may need it some day and I don't want to be judged.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 3:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2011