What can i do to fix this problem, before he gets hurt?

My son is 4 1/2 years old, we recently purchased a brand new top safety rated car booster seat for him. It is the kind that you use the seat belt with( has no harness). Well he is doing great in it until he falls asleep. I has great cushioning and padding, but his head slumps forward when he sleeps and if the driver happens to accidentally slam on the brakes his head jerks forward, and it is a bit scary. Will this hurt his neck? Is there anything I can do to keep this from hurting him? I know he is a big boy and he has very good control of his head and neck, but even adults can be hurt in this kind of situation, right? I am just not sure if I should be worried about it or not, any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

lamom2aj

Asked by lamom2aj at 2:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What his weight? Can his seat be adjusted so it tilts back a little? When you are relaxed (as in asleep) car related injuries lower in risk. that's why drunks often walk away, they don't tense up when the car wrecks.

They make pretty big 5 point harnesses too, if that is a concern.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 2:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• he weighs 40 lbs.. i think it does tilt back, I will have to try that, i was concerned with not getting the seatbelt tight enough if i were to tilt it back, but i need to try it out to see if that is the case. Thanks for you input!
    lamom2aj

Comment by lamom2aj (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I think the recommendation is for kids that still fall asleep when you go somewhere is that you put them back in a harness. I don't have my 4 year old out of a harness yet, and he is still rfing too.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• We decided to keep out 4 yr old in a harness version rather than moving to a booster for exactly this reason. He almost always falls asleep on long car trips (which we do frequently) and I was concerned about an accident. Our current car seat goes up to 50 lbs for the harness so we have at least another year (he's also 40 lbs at the moment).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• This is one reason our almost 5yo is still in a car seat, it goes up to 60 lbs (made by Britax) so he will be able to use it for a long time still.
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 7:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2011